Default Power Steering Belt

I've heard of guys keeping a spare belt in the bell housing so that a new one can be put on quickly. Does anybody have pictures or a good description of the best way to do this? Is it just a matter of keeping it tied up so that the shaft doesn't rub on it?

Yes. Just a couple of zip ties in the bottom of the bellhousing, and make sure the belt's natural arc is holding it away from the shaft. You may have to drill a few small holes for the zip ties to go through.

That makes sense. Seems like those holes could double as a means for water to escape that may accumulate during washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    That makes sense. Seems like those holes could double as a means for water to escape that may accumulate during washing.
    Some silicone the belt in place also in a few spots. It's on the back side of the belt and doesn't seem to cause issues if needed to be used.

Default Belt broke

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Some silicone the belt in place also in a few spots. It's on the back side of the belt and doesn't seem to cause issues if needed to be used.
    I had one break this weekend. Not real sure what caused it. Maybe a rock? Did I put it on too tight? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 32racer32 View Post
    I had one break this weekend. Not real sure what caused it. Maybe a rock? Did I put it on too tight? Any thoughts?
    I gotta assume we are talking a dry sump type belt and not a regular V belt.

1. Too tight and they can break because they get tighter when all the aluminum expands and makes it even tighter. You should be able to turn the belt roughly 90 degree's on the edge between the 2 pulley's when tight, if not your likely too tight.

2. If the bolts hold the coupler/pulley on has too long of bolt heads (usually from having lockwashers or something on the bolts), that if the belt moves forward slightly the bolt heads can start nicking the front edge of the belt and cause breakage.

Default belt

Yeah I was actually talking about a power steering HD belt ran off the back.

I'll give it a look and test for the 90 deg deal. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I gotta assume we are talking a dry sump type belt and not a regular V belt.

1. Too tight and they can break because they get tighter when all the aluminum expands and makes it even tighter. You should be able to turn the belt roughly 90 degree's on the edge between the 2 pulley's when tight, if not your likely too tight.

2. If the bolts hold the coupler/pulley on has too long of bolt heads (usually from having lockwashers or something on the bolts), that if the belt moves forward slightly the bolt heads can start nicking the front edge of the belt and cause breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by 32racer32 View Post
    Yeah I was actually talking about a power steering HD belt ran off the back.

I'll give it a look and test for the 90 deg deal. Thanks
    Obviously there is a possibility of one of the pumps locking up too, wasn't sure if you meant you have a non dry sump and only have a PS there or was with a dry sump. But check and makes sure the pump turns and turn it the correct way first if no one has messed with it since it broke. A roller lifter needle could have locked up the oil pump and turning it backwards may unlock it and you won't know it. If only a PS pump then locking up is unlikely as it's hard to get something in there to do that unlike an oil pump.

Also look to see if it's a clean break across the belt or the edge is shredded along the length of the belt for an area. Also look at the pulleys, the aluminum drives on the crank are known to wear really bad if not hard anodized and will get sharp on the parts between the teeth on the pulley. Get rid of the aluminum couple if that is the case, use steel only, IMO.