Thread: Fuel ???

Default Fuel ???

Possible switch from alcohol to gas... looking for opinions.

Have a 390 with 13* heads right at 16:1 compression ratio. Turns 8-8700 regularly.
    What kind of fuel suggestions does anyone have?

Looking for suggestions on octane #s and brands and blends people have had success with. LM+ or C16 was my first inclination but not sure if LM+ has enough juice to not detonate.

I've used l/m+ at close to those specs,Didn't have 13 degree heads ,so probably at less h/p.I would stay with a fuel that was blended for oval track use.Fuels that are ok for heavy nitrous use will be down on hp on the dyno.What I found on the dyno was once the motor had the octane it wanted ,there was no h/p to be gained and some times a loss with more octane.

Renegade has a couple of race fuels that fit the bill. The Renegade Pro Super Late Model, and the Renegade Rat Man Late Model Elite. Another choice would be the Renegade Pro 120.
    Mike Croley
    Palmdale Oil Company/Renegade Racing Fuels of Florida
    386-341-4308

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Croley View Post
    Renegade has a couple of race fuels that fit the bill. The Renegade Pro Super Late Model, and the Renegade Rat Man Late Model Elite. Another choice would be the Renegade Pro 120.
    is that pro 120 similar to sonoco 119?

HCR Plus maybe????? Made for compression higher then 14.1 That's what we run.

why would you switch? it is going to cost you a lot more $$$$ to run the gas than alky.
    then you will have to work on cooling it.
    I switched to gas in 08. Its been great, but really not needed like I thought it was.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Besides less fuel burn off, I feel there is no gain with gas over alcohol. Alcohol will make more torque if cammed correctly, no cooling issues, and good bit safer from a fire stand point.
    Josh K.

Quote Originally Posted by fast_crew View Post
    Besides less fuel burn off, I feel there is no gain with gas over alcohol. Alcohol will make more torque if cammed correctly, no cooling issues, and good bit safer from a fire stand point.
    i disagree from the safety stand point. You have to carry almost 2x as much to finish the race so thats a lot of extra fuel to leak out in the case of a busted fuel cell. Nobody wants to get burned but it happens, just something else to think about

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    i disagree from the safety stand point. You have to carry almost 2x as much to finish the race so thats a lot of extra fuel to leak out in the case of a busted fuel cell. Nobody wants to get burned but it happens, just something else to think about
    I ran no more than a 22 gallon cell for alky.
    and all the B.S about double the amount is just that....B.S.
    if your carb is tuned correctly, it is about 1.25-1.5(at most):1
    if you are using more, you are wasting fuel.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Not only that but spray water on a gas fire. Then spray on a methanol fire. To me it's a no brainer. Methanol is the safer fuel. For a 30 lap main I have 20 gal in the cell. That gives me a 5 gal cushion.
    L
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Methanol is definitely a safer fuel. Harder to ignite, less volatile, and can be extinguished with water/foam fairly easy.
    Josh K.