Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    I was referring to actual racing. Not testing. It will all change after Speedweeks anyway.
    I was just being a smarta*s. I knew what you meant.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    How can they judge his ride and team in a preseason poll if he hasn't officially raced yet.
    His team has been around already. It is fair to speculate on his equipment vs the Shinston bunch and the talent of Shep vs. Josh.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Every year there is controversy about the preseason poll. How can existing teams change in one month? Granted some successful teams have split up and could lose credibility, until they prove their self. Some have raced for a little money, some have raced for 5k or more. If you take the poll after some have raced, you almost have to take that into consideration or do the poll before any races start. As of now Bobby Pierce appears to have the hot hand in Number #1, because of wins and previous poll. As he isn't scheduled to race during speed weeks, that will all change. It would be interesting, if there was a poll for money won. It's darn hard to spend Fame and it's hard to carry in your pocket.

Good job by Rigsby calling for Bloomquist to win the Lucas series and wielding his influence to keep Josh out of the top 3....helps cover his unabashed bias for Josh when he votes him #1 the rest of the season.

Ok. So here is how the poll works. 10 people vote. Write down their lists independently. They are combined together on a points system. And that is how the list is tabulated. Rigsby is ONE vote. ONE. I am ONE vote. You can look at the story on the poll and it will tell you who the others are. Rigsby doesn't see anyone else's votes or control them. Geez with the conspiracy theories already.

This pre-season poll is much like (as someone previously pointed out) like the NCAA MBB or FB pre-season polls. It is partially based on the previous year's performance. But it also takes in to consideration facts about changes with the teams, the series they are running, the chassis they are running and a little bit on any "pre-season" events they may have run. It is, at the end of the day, an opinion poll but those opinions are pretty educated ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    Ok. So here is how the poll works. 10 people vote. Write down their lists independently. They are combined together on a points system. And that is how the list is tabulated. Rigsby is ONE vote. ONE. I am ONE vote. You can look at the story on the poll and it will tell you who the others are. Rigsby doesn't see anyone else's votes or control them. Geez with the conspiracy theories already.

This pre-season poll is much like (as someone previously pointed out) like the NCAA MBB or FB pre-season polls. It is partially based on the previous year's performance. But it also takes in to consideration facts about changes with the teams, the series they are running, the chassis they are running and a little bit on any "pre-season" events they may have run. It is, at the end of the day, an opinion poll but those opinions are pretty educated ones too.
    It's all good. Like you say, It's only someones opinion. You guys do a pretty good job. The only flaw I see with DoD pols are that they tend to lean on the what happened this week but kind of forget from what someone has done earlier in the season.
    8/13/16

I bet Tyler Carpenter will be in the top 25 for most of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post
    I bet Tyler Carpenter will be in the top 25 for most of the year.
    Will he run enough shows that get exposure to qualify him?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Will he run enough shows that get exposure to qualify him?
    He started to travel towards the end of last year. He went to Eldora, DTWC, Charlotte, won the race at Richmond. I think they plan to do a little more traveling this year and I think he will tear up the regional scene around the Mid Ohio Valley this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    It wont take him long and he will be in top 3. Right now he shouldnt be #1
    i was being sarcastic. i said that since they have such a man crush for him.

It's all good. Like you say, It's only someones opinion. You guys do a pretty good job. The only flaw I see with DoD pols are that they tend to lean on the what happened this week but kind of forget from what someone has done earlier in the season.
    It's a weekly poll, so you're correct. When a driver is hot for a particular week, they will move up the standings despite what struggles they may have had leading up to that point.

As someone has stated, it's weekly. Then at the end of the year they release their driver of the year poll.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake X3 View Post
    Good job by Rigsby calling for Bloomquist to win the Lucas series and wielding his influence to keep Josh out of the top 3....helps cover his unabashed bias for Josh when he votes him #1 the rest of the season.
    Because Josh has been running so poorly that he doesn't deserve to ever be voted number one. If you had Bloomer, Richards, and Bobby as your number one last year at various times you could never be questioned as being wrong. Unless you have a chubby for one of them. Which you have stated before you don't like the Rocket camp.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

He started to travel towards the end of last year. He went to Eldora, DTWC, Charlotte, won the race at Richmond. I think they plan to do a little more traveling this year and I think he will tear up the regional scene around the Mid Ohio Valley this year.
    tyler will be chasing boggs all season, but he does have a very bright future ahead of him. best of luck to him this year.
    jackie boggs....the last true outlaw
    anyone but lanigan
    Swartz - we don't build race cars fast, we build fast race cars

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Because Josh has been running so poorly that he doesn't deserve to ever be voted number one. If you had Bloomer, Richards, and Bobby as your number one last year at various times you could never be questioned as being wrong. Unless you have a chubby for one of them. Which you have stated before you don't like the Rocket camp.
    It's not the Rocket camp, it's Josh. And it's not Josh personally (I don't know the man), it's the way he drives that I don't like. But that's not that point. Richards was the unanimous #1 pick almost every week. Unanimous. I am not going to look back to verify this, but I'm pretty sure he was #1 every week except for two. I seem to remember Bloomer was #1 by a 7-3 vote once and I think 9-1 another time. My point being, pick any 10 people on here and how often do you think that would have been the case?

For sure you could argue that the 10 member panel is more knowledgeable than any 10 people on here, but Josh didn't have some ridiculously amazing season like JD did the year before and I don't remember JD being the unanimous pick virtually every week. What does that tell you? What it tells me is that it is group think.

So unless you are arguing that Richards had a season from start to finish that was so one sided that he deserved to be the unanimous #1 pick almost every week. then last season the polling was seriously slanted either in composition or by influence.

Well here are the actual statistics

There were 38 polls including the preseason (one week off because of weather).

Josh was #1 26 times and unanimously only 15.

Scott was #1 11 times and unanimously only twice

Davenport was #1 in the pre-season poll

Josh won 8 TIMES in Speedweeks (1 win in a crate) all except the crate win were head to head with Scott & JD.

Scott took the #1 spot for the 1st time in week 12 when he won WoO at Smoky Mountain head to head with the other 2. Josh was 3rd. Scott remained #1 through week 16 even after a bad weekend in week 14. He dropped to 3rd after missing the Dream where Josh was 2nd and JD 3rd.

Josh stayed #1 for 17, 18 & 19. Scott went back to #1 in week 20 after his Firecracker victory and back to back Lucas wins. Josh fell to 2nd after finishing 2nd in Firecracker and winning a Summer Nats race. Scott stayed on top through week 23 but fell to 2nd in week 24 after Josh swept the Prairie Dirt Classic weekend.

Josh maintained the #1 spot for through week 31 after sweeping at Cedar Lake, sweeping the next weekend with 3 WoO wins, 11th in the World 100 and winning a Knoxville prelim.

In week 32 Scott returned to #1 after his Brownstown win. Pierce jumps to 2nd after the World 100 win and sweeping Summer Nats at Tri-City. Josh was off after the World. Scott held #1 again in week 33 with a 3rd at Dixie and win at Rome. Pierce stayed 2nd with a 6th in the Fall Nationals at Eldora while Josh was off again.

In week 34 Josh returned to the #1 spot with his Pittsburgher win head to head with Scott and JD. Scott was 2nd. Pierce had a win and a 3rd but fell to 3rd. The next week Josh was 3rd at the DTWC while Scott was 11th and Pierce DNQ.

In week 36 Josh was off. Scott was 2nd at Whynot unsanctioned. Pierce wins the Fall 50 at Florence.

Week 37 saw Josh win and finish 12th at Charlotte, Both the 0 and 32 were off.

In week 38 only Scott raced. He was 8th at EAMS's National 100.

So where in that is there any influence other than performance. Richards had better finishes in 75% of the events where the top 3 were head to head. 75%. Scott missing the Dream and then not eligible for the World and World Finals was certainly impactful but that has nothing to do with Richards. Josh had 28 wins on the year.
    Last edited by flagone; 02-09-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake X3 View Post
    For sure you could argue that the 10 member panel is more knowledgeable than any 10 people on here...
    I doubt that seriously. They just happen to write/be affiliated with dirt on dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by NormP View Post
    I doubt that seriously. They just happen to write/be affiliated with dirt on dirt.
    I agree with this 100 percent. Not knocking the DOD crew, because they're great. But there are just as many people on here with the same amount of knowledge, they just don't happen to get the opportunity to work for DOD or other sites to showcase it. I wouldn't take anyone's dirt late model knowledge over my own.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    How can they judge his ride and team in a preseason poll if he hasn't officially raced yet.
    Its preseason. You have to go with what you know. The Best Team is basically unchanged except for the driver. Richards is in basically the same car, with a less desirable power plant, and without his father, compared to a season ago.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I agree with this 100 percent. Not knocking the DOD crew, because they're great. But there are just as many people on here with the same amount of knowledge, they just don't happen to get the opportunity to work for DOD or other sites to showcase it. I wouldn't take anyone's dirt late model knowledge over my own.
    Agreed. There are plenty of people who know plenty of the scoop and know what it takes under the sheet metal.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1