Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Chevelle clips????HELP

Does anyone what the clips are selling for at southwest speed, I can't even find them on they're web page, andi saw where afco was selling them as well. Can't find any info on them either,, or where a person could find one
    The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also are enemies; probably because they are generally the same people...
    G.K. Chesterton

You have to call southwest speed. They don't list them online nor in their catalog. Don't know about afco but it's probably the same.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

Quote Originally Posted by Confused? View Post
    You have to call southwest speed. They don't list them online nor in their catalog. Don't know about afco but it's probably the same.
    Have any idea how much?
    The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also are enemies; probably because they are generally the same people...
    G.K. Chesterton

Unassembled, around $600 plus shipping, I think

If you don't have a pretty elaborate jig, you don't need to try and put one together. They are way off in some places, and have to be slotted and sleeved to get right. About 12 hrs to do right, after having a jig and lots of practice.

I was quoted $949 retail from AFCO. What can possibly take 12 hours to do? Only measurements critical at all are lower a arm mount locations and steering box location and idler arm location. Upper A arm mounts and etc etc etc etc locations all discretionary to each chassis builder. not building a real chevelle car out of them where the body mounts etc. have to be in correct place to put real street car together and have the General Motors parts bolt up to it. Video from PRI at the AFCO display says they snap together then you weld them up.
    Last edited by daytonagary; 02-11-2017 at 04:10 PM.

I was referring to the kits from Southwest Speed. Have no idea about the Afco kits.

I've built five of these kits without a jig and none of them took anywhere close to 12 hours. A jig does make much easier because of the amount of "massaging" required. They are not for the novice fabricators though.

The one Heavy Duty welded on my brothers new car looks great, and I'm gonna have to take his word on it, his cars are very nice.

From what I saw at PRI of the Afco units, and if what Rex with Afco says they are, they will snap and bolt together, and make things a lot easier

The current Southwest Speed units are not real close to a chevelle unless you do a lot of fabrication . They resemble one, but that's about it.
    IF I remember correctly,HEAVY DUTY'S jig is based off a dimensionally perfect GM Chevelle clip.

If I had to have a Chevelle, I would much rather have one from Heavy Duty. But , I am not a fan of Chevelle's, so I will stick with his Metric front end cars.
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 02-12-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Ive heard larry shaw sells them weld out

I bought one from Shaw in 2015 that was already assembled and paid 950 dollars plus 100$ shipping to the Duel in the desert in Vegas. A friend was there and brought in back to northern Nevada for me. JMO

I always thought the after market ones (Chevelle) were a lot weaker. Not sure of all the advantages of chevelle over metric, they both win races. just thought so many people used chevelle and the metric depleting, would like to fine a good after market clip. At a decedent price. Who is heavy duty?
    G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by hanginitout View Post
    I always thought the after market ones (Chevelle) were a lot weaker. Not sure of all the advantages of chevelle over metric, they both win races. just thought so many people used chevelle and the metric depleting, would like to fine a good after market clip. At a decedent price. Who is heavy duty?
    Heavy Duty is Don Adams owner/builder of Lightning Chassis, you wont meet a nicer guy in racing.

Afco is owned by speedway, all they do is send everything to china to be copied... I doubt the Afco one is any different or better than the sw speed clip since most likely they sent a sw speed clip to be copied.

they all have the indentions built in for assembly oem and sw speed....

IF AFCO supposedly added something different you would think pictures would be all over about it.

The AFCO clip is completely different from the SWS clip. The crossmember has been narrowed up for radiator clearance, and the hump outside of the spring bucket has been flattened out for shock clearance. I haven't put one together yet, but they claim that they are doing it in 4 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVY DUTY View Post
    The AFCO clip is completely different from the SWS clip. The crossmember has been narrowed up for radiator clearance, and the hump outside of the spring bucket has been flattened out for shock clearance. I haven't put one together yet, but they claim that they are doing it in 4 hrs.
    Those two changes have been advertised I wouldnt consider that completely different, that saves you a hour of cutting and plating. Until someone chimes in who has had their hands on one I guess we wont know.

I have a Really good Barry Wright chassis late model has very low laps, want to make a mod out of it. I have metric clip, was going to try and find a Chevelle. But like i said i think the metric id just as good. but a friend of mine wanted to put a chevelle on it what do you'll think?
    Last edited by hanginitout; 03-03-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    G.K. Chesterton

I'm still trying to figure out why a mod has to run these clips. There's nothing stock about any of it. Speaks volumes about the people writing the rule book!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why a mod has to run these clips. There's nothing stock about any of it. Speaks volumes about the people writing the rule book!
    I agree, they seem so much weaker too. But it makes them feel good i guess. Somewhere GM has to have a jig in storage and the stamp.. but a properly configured tube chassis with the pick up point where they are supposed to be seem to be the best. Heck these cars are late model on 8" tires now any how. I think I'll go with the metric. What do you think ??? Thank you all
    Last edited by hanginitout; 03-07-2017 at 05:13 AM.
    G.K. Chesterton

They do have one,,Howe has a fab clip ready to weld on..all the correct suspension points,springs plated, and cleared.In fact if you want to buy a new Howe mod dirt or asphalt you need to supply them with a clip so they have something to add to there stock..I think they are tired of running the junk yards..It also has two locations sleeved on each side so that the weight is bolted into the same place on all of them to match that of a Chevelle.