Default First timer attending the superbowl od dirt @ GIS

Hey guys, I'm heading to Golden Isles this weekend for the Lucas races, it's my first trip down, anything I should know? Thanks in advance!

Go to Jekyll Island and check it out while in town. Plenty of great restaurants in Brunswick but not a lot close to the track which is actually about 20 miles from Brunswick.

Any chain restaraunt you want is in Brunswick. For local fare, head to St Simons Island, Pier Village or Red Fern Village. Several bars with plenty of live music in both. Iguanas at the pier village for shrimp n grits. If you golf, half a dozen course nearby. Jekyll Island, public golf course, check out the beach and driftwood area toward north end of island. Historic Jekyll Island club is also there. Then dress warm and get ready for the Late Models. Concession is usually decent at the track, new grandstands are nice and high so really good view.

My parents went to Jekyll Island and said they loved it and the food was amazing.

St Simons Food
    Pizza-Sal's
    BBQ-Southern Soul
    Seafood-Crabdaddy's

Jekyll is nice, but I've never met a beach I didn't like.

BBQ in Brunswick- Twin Oaks

It's a haul down there, but I like GIS.

If you drive a truck, get a pit pass and reserve a trackside parking spot. Not a bad seat anywhere!

X2...Southern Soul BBQ....best brisket you'll ever eat!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Thanks guys! So many places to eat, so few days lol. BK you goin down there? I'll race ya down I-75 and 16! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    If you drive a truck, get a pit pass and reserve a trackside parking spot. Not a bad seat anywhere!

X2...Southern Soul BBQ....best brisket you'll ever eat!
    Trackside parking and reserved camping have been sold out for several weeks. X3 on Southern Soul. Gary Lees bbq on Hwy 82 about 10 mins east of track also real good.

Quote Originally Posted by RayCook53fan View Post
    Thanks guys! So many places to eat, so few days lol. BK you goin down there? I'll race ya down I-75 and 16! Lol
    No, can't get down there this weekend. Next weekend I might be going down some of those same highways though.

Great track, went last year to check it out. Racing was pretty awesome last year, with JD and Richards duking it out. The facilities are very nice. Go stand for a min in turn one during qualifying to get a rush, watch your head for mud

Quick Question -- with the great pricing for GA tickets and the ability to reserve seats I went ahead and did that which means I don't have a pit pass (never get to use them anyway as wife will probably want to spend all day at the ocean and will barely get to the track on time). Does LOLMDS let fans in the pit area after the racing is over?

Thanks,
    Jeff.

Yes fans are allowed in pits after

Quote Originally Posted by RayCook53fan View Post
    Hey guys, I'm heading to Golden Isles this weekend for the Lucas races, it's my first trip down, anything I should know? Thanks in advance!
    Bring an extra layer of cold weather gear! Tailgate parking at GIS is some the of the best in the Country. Highly recommended.

Can confirm the cold weather gear also. 45 here doesn't feel the same as 45 there. That moisture in the air makes it feel much cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by B_K View Post
    Can confirm the cold weather gear also. 45 here doesn't feel the same as 45 there. That moisture in the air makes it feel much cooler.
    Yep, its gonna be pretty chili. You cant put on what you aint got!

Forty five down here feels colder than a polar bears nutsack!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Me and a buddy of mine are going to the race just on Saturday, we are coming from Lancaster, South Carolina.

Glad I read this about the food and the weather before we left Saturday Morning. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Michael Knight View Post
    Me and a buddy of mine are going to the race just on Saturday, we are coming from Lancaster, South Carolina.

Glad I read this about the food and the weather before we left Saturday Morning. Lol
    The forecast has changed quite a bit the last few days. The low for Saturday is 53, with a high of 75. Good racing weather.

fyi....GIS is in Waynesville not Brunswick.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    The forecast has changed quite a bit the last few days. The low for Saturday is 53, with a high of 75. Good racing weather.

fyi....GIS is in Waynesville not Brunswick.
    Thank you, glad the weather will be good.

How is the food at the race track?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Michael Knight View Post
    Thank you, glad the weather will be good.

How is the food at the race track?
    Pretty good, better than most!

Several tables inside to sit and eat.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!