Default Super Bowl at Golden Isles

I went to Golden Isles several years ago for the Super Bowl of racing, the racing was decent. So I headed out this year making the 5 hr trip. I must say it was a total disappointment. I go to several races every year. I just don't get it. Parking lot was full an hour before the race began, concession stand was a joke for a crowd like they had. The racing was bad, no passing, etc. We kept thinking this heat is loaded, but exciting racing never came. So, it will be several years before I go back to the Super Bowl at Golden Isles. JMO

The new owners don't have a clue, there is not enough concessions, not enough bathrooms and they have no clue on track prep plus the turns are not wide enough like they used to be years ago when you could run 2 and 3 wide.

Sounds like they messed with the inside berm and that didn't help either.

On the concessions -- they probably should have had some food trucks or something come in. If they were planning to run the whole deal themselves they probably didn't expect the type of crowd they got or something. I can't see buying any extra concessions stands or anything going forward because they are only likely to get a crowd remotely similar to that when the LOLMDS comes to town next Feb. I don't think they will see a huge crowd like that again though, they missed a big opportunity with the absolutely horrible track/track conditions for sure. I still had fun, but I wouldn't put that one on my list of places to do 20 hours of driving to see again.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

I am still not convinced that the track was any narrow or or that the inside berm was pushed out any further than it was last year. If you look at the Golden Isles speedway Facebook page cover photo from 2016 I can't see any difference. Yes the racing sucked, the bathroom sucked and the concession line sucked. The only other food vendor I saw was the brick oven Pizza and it was actually pretty good in my opinion.

I think the bad racing was a product of the 1300 tire rule, the width and how aerodynamic these bodies are now, and the fact that since the green flag dropped for hot laps every single car ran the exact same groove. Not one car ever tried to run the high side when the truck was being worn in. I also think they have taken some banking out of the turns and need to add it back.

I wanna no why there was so much open drinking in the pit grandstands ? Personally, I could have cared less, but with today being the lawyers love these cases. I will say this. Friday and Saturday track prep was totally different. Saturday was delayed up to 1hr. with the extra water that was on the surface. The facility was not prepared for that lucas race. Concession lines were ridiculously long. The men's pit side restroom was disgusting. The racing was follow the leader. I was not expecting many of the things witnessed.