Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    Yes, Tulsa sells out, but it has factors in it's favor: No other racing going on in the USA (no NASCAR, no IndyCar, no short track racing, no drag racing, etc.) and draws fans from all of those forms of racing that week. But, no matter how you slice it, it's still the same 15000 people every day, it's not 75,000 people.
    No other racing going on in the USA? IIRC there is a quasi large dirt late model event going on at the same time. Doesn't really matter who buys the tickets, it's a sell out 5 nights in a row and has been for a decade.

Another factor that helps it in interest is NASCAR guys racing: whether people want to admit it or not, some go to watch Kasey, Kyle, Christopher Bell, Rico and others get beat or if they win they want to say they were there for it.
    I've been to a bunch of them and it's a safe bet that 90% to 95% of the crowd are hard core dirt open wheel fans. I've yet to run into a NASCAR or drag racing fan at Tulsa who said they were there because there was nothing better to do, racing-wise.

Indoors, ZERO CHANCE of it raining out or getting cancelled.
    Gotta' agree with this aspect of the experience. It's very nice to know that there will be no rain out's. However, a few years ago the December indoor event at Du Quoin was cancelled due to a blizzard.

Longevity: What is it now, year 34? Most dirt events (other than Knoxville and Eldora) seem to make it past year 5 anymore.
    January 2018 will be the 33rd. Turkey Night Grand Prix has been run at several different tracks 76 times with the only breaks were during WW II (1942-1944) and four years in the early 1950's. The 4 Crown Nationals at Eldora have been around for 35 years. Belleville Nationals have been around for 40 years.

IMO, dirt racing has ZERO CHANCE of ever overtaking NASCAR. I'm not saying NASCAR has a better product (they don't), but casual fans will go to a NASCAR race because it's an EVENT. Most Dirt Track racing misses that by a mile...
    No doubt about it. Agree with every word.

DLM racing is in no way threatening Nascar. Late models are headed in the wrong direction too race wise, until they do something with those bodies.

I figured this article would rile quite a few different opinions. Some are narrowing this down to Late Models. I think the writer is referring to dirt racing in general. Sprints, Lates. Mods, Street Stocks. Dirt racing as a whole is doing well in my opinion. All I see is tracks reopening around the Midwest. Some are doing better than others but as a whole, their are a lot of tracks out there.
    I remember reading once that if you count how many dirt tracks run on Saturday night in the good ole USA, multiply that by 500-800 fans, it's one of the largest fan based sport today. So in reality, their are more Dirt Fans than NASCAR fans when it comes to attending a race.
    8/13/16

If there is something wrong with LM dirt racing, it is all the knee jerk cookie cutter rules, that try to limit everyone to the same speed. Every one increases costs in the long run and if they all run the same speed, how does anyone pass the next guy. If you really think about it, you want someone with an advantage for a while and when the next best idea comes along, someone else is fast. You don't want that next idea in the hands of a race team that has their hands tied by knee jerk rules. Seems we need a rule for this and a rule for that, but if they can't or won't get enforced, they are bad rules and need to be discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm sure you know this but Knoxville and Eldora are not the only dirt tracks with a deep history that continues to run their marque events.
    What I meant by my statement was that to a casual race fan (maybe a fan of NHRA or NASCAR, but not necessarily dirt racing) knows about Knoxville and Eldora (and the Chili Bowl). Other marquee events aren't as well known outside of their own little world in racing. Until Knoxville started holding the Late Model Nationals, the only big Late Model races I was aware of were The World 100 and The Dream. I was a race fan, but I had never heard of the DTWC until then.

I know that the Knoxville Nationals is well known across multiple forms of motorsports (heck, NHRA guys gather around at the bar to watch it (my sister was a NHRA Official). The World 100 was well known but the track probably was more well known than the race itself for a long time.

There are many other marquee events out there, but they don't move the needle nationally outside of their own niche.

The only way Dirt Track Racing ever overtakes NASCAR is if NASCAR goes out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Eldora sells lots of tickets without seats for their LM events. I don't think a sellout is possible.
    Funny, they "sold out" when they ran the first truck race (20,000) and said that is still "to date" the highest attended race at the track including all of their events (World, Dream, King's Royal, Eldora Million, Mopar Million). Lots of those tickets went to people that didn't have "seats" either.

Everyone gets sold a ticket whether they buy a reserved seat in the grandstand or not. I'll take the track's word on what their highest attended event was over anyone else.

Tony has mentioned that they will never sell more tickets to any event than they did that night.

NASCAR 80 bucks cheap seat Burger ff and drink 20 to 25 bucks Over my head
    Big dirt race 25 30 or even 35 bucks Can live with that But been there the last 5 weeks and the Burger ff and drink was 7 bucks and now it 12 bucks is what piss me off...