Default Spring Smasher Load Cell

Can anyone give me a part number or brand or info on what load cell to use for my spring smasher

I used this one or a #3500 one just like it. Can't remember for sure. I think this is the people I bought it from also. Pretty nice unit for the money. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/282084276490

I'm pretty sure you will want to use a pancake style load cell, interface makes good loadcells, use them in the testing services we do where I work. I think and someone with more experience correct me if I'm wrong but an "s" shape load cell is not ideal for springs because the directional forces the buckled spring can generate can bend/distort the "s" shape cell and alter its accuracy.

Most spring smashers use a "S" beam load cell. Even low end Roehrig shock dynos use this style of load cell.

make sure you buy it calibrated,,i got mine not done and its a bare to do

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Cust Susp View Post
    I'm pretty sure you will want to use a pancake style load cell, interface makes good loadcells, use them in the testing services we do where I work. I think and someone with more experience correct me if I'm wrong but an "s" shape load cell is not ideal for springs because the directional forces the buckled spring can generate can bend/distort the "s" shape cell and alter its accuracy.
    S beam load cells are not ideal for anything, IMO. But often used for cost savings.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    S beam load cells are not ideal for anything, IMO. But often used for cost savings.
    Agree completely

And someone mentioned the above about Roehrig, there 2VS does have an S shaped load cell but it also says in the paper work not for coilover rating, if you get into a 3,5 or I think 10vs they use a pancake.

I work on scales for a living and agree to the above.

That may be, but the accuforce and many others use the "S" type cell.

We use the S beam for a couple reasons. 1. It is readily available and affordable, and 2. It has a small foot print. If we were to go to a pancake style it would be a little better but cost much much more. The shear beam Load cells take up a large amount of space. When you go to place a spring changing box like our machine uses you start to get tight on space.

The key is having the top cross bar placed plumb and the hole drilled correctly. I use a mill to drill the hole, if your ANY out of plane you will start to get odd readings on your load cell, from the twist as mentioned above. You will struggle if you have the parts out of plane!

If your square, then the s beam Load cell is a good piece, each type have advantages, is it the best pure Load cell, no but it's a good part that gives you repeatable results with an affordable price tag and small footprint.

The bigger issue with accuracy is measuring the cars center to center length, this is the spot most guys get off, measure it on the car at say 1/32" off, or 1/16" that will often have a bigger impact than a load cell being .1-.2% off.

Like with any tool it comes down to price, accuracy needed and quality. Most of us choose the S beam because it is good price(shear beam is similar price), good accuracy, and small footprint. If you desired a higher end load cell then I am sure myself or any builder out there will accommodate.

Where can you find the digital travel indicators? I have found the smaller style but yet to find what I am needing.

Missile check your PM

Zero....your inbox is full

sorry about that, I cleaned it out.