Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Max Aero, Return of the wedge!

Increadible photos showing how much aero tech is involved with these cars. Photo of 116 is unbelievable.

http://www.4m.net/atta

http://www.4m.net/attachment.php?att...3&d=1487043975
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtfan04 View Post
    Increadible photos showing how much aero tech is involved with these cars. Photo of 116 is unbelievable.

http://www.4m.net/atta

http://www.4m.net/attachment.php?att...3&d=1487043975
    16684120_1892536134328167_1677526825348169693_n

Awesome picture.

The body rules need to be reeled back in. Make the cars more square like they used to be and slow them down to make the racing better. Somebody is going to have to step in like UMP did after the wedge cars.

I agree slmcrewchief

Its good that the Dirt Late Model Council adopted new safety rules for 2017, but they should have done something about the aero stuff as well. Maybe it would create better racing, maybe it wouldn't, but reign the body rules in.

Call me new age, but I think DLM look better than ever. I love the rounded sides back to the quarter panel. Like Mark Martin said in an interview, DLM are the most "sexy" race car out today. I agree completely. I've been going to late model races for 25 years and the cars of today are my favorite ever. And all the griping about the racing being bad... just because the track at GIS was junk (I was there, in person) why are we blaming the cars? Did y'all already forget all the other great close races from the last few years? Heck even last year at GIS?

I contend removing Areo advantage, will make all the cars more the same speed. If you like passing, it's a bad rule. If you like innovation, it's a bad rule. It ties the hands of the innovators and promotes one lane racing. Same car, equal the same results, equal train races. You hear bad air and can't pass. Change the rule and you won't get the bite to even get the run to pass.

If we want one good rule, we should ask for tracks to have multi grooves. Make the track illegal if they don't. I know this sounds crazy, but if racers can find ways to win on non passing tracks, tracks should be able to find a way to have that track that you can pass on. It would even benefit them in fan count.

How's all those rules working out for Napcar?''Run what you brung and hope you brung enough''Has always been like a badge of honor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    The body rules need to be reeled back in. Make the cars more square like they used to be and slow them down to make the racing better. Somebody is going to have to step in like UMP did after the wedge cars.
    agreed! these cars are turning into missiles. a lot of upside cars last year.

Default Aero increases cost and kills competition. Bon Voyage'

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    Its good that the Dirt Late Model Council adopted new safety rules for 2017, but they should have done something about the aero stuff as well. Maybe it would create better racing, maybe it wouldn't, but reign the body rules in.
    They have body rules??? I thought when they handed the controls over to the nose guy to do whatever he wanted, that they no longer wished to have body rules.
    Politically Incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by RayCook53fan View Post
    Call me new age, but I think DLM look better than ever. I love the rounded sides back to the quarter panel. Like Mark Martin said in an interview, DLM are the most "sexy" race car out today. I agree completely. I've been going to late model races for 25 years and the cars of today are my favorite ever. And all the griping about the racing being bad... just because the track at GIS was junk (I was there, in person) why are we blaming the cars? Did y'all already forget all the other great close races from the last few years? Heck even last year at GIS?
    I agree. I love the way this current generation of dirt late models look. In my opinion, they are not only the best looking dirt late models we have ever had, they are the best looking race cars in the country period.
    I love the technology side of the sport. This run what you brung division is what seperates it from all the others in my opinion. The last thing we need is for the "rule makers" to turn dirt late models into the next NASCAR COT. We all remember how hideous that thing was. The horrible looks of it alone drove many fans away from that form of racing.

Don't understand why folks think example B looks better than example A.

Don't understand why folks think example B looks better than example A.
    I agree 100%.....I choose Door #1!

Run what ya brung, if ya get beat, bring more next week!

They were originally called "outlaws" for a reason! Theres always the hobby stock class!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

The deck is about level with Overtons sternum wow...except on left side where its dished up 8-10 inches...

I say bring back the wedge and let 'em put the 6' side boards and the huge spoilers on them. Let's get 'em pinned to the track in such a way that the engines will cost $80 grand and owners will only want to race on 1/4 mile or smaller tracks. Decrease the weight requirements down to 1500 lbs. and watch 'em GO!

Today's generic dirt late model is way over the top anyway. They allow them to lay way over on the right side. The right front wheel and tire has to be 8 to 10 inches further to the right than the right rear. More than 1/2 the left rear wheel disappears ahead of the wheel well opening under full acceleration and they allow them to have different wheelbase measurements from one side to the other. The more exotic the better!!

Thumbs up

What a great post ! It's all about track prep and configuration. It has been quite a while since I've witnessed a race like the one at GIS. I've seen races where the top or bottom might be a little more dominate than the other but the overall racing is good.
    And I agree with M.M., they are sexy. That pick of Overton is no different than the picks of Richards last year, Davenport the year before. These pictures are taken at the perfect moment and angle that they really show the pitch of the car. Pretty cool but they've been this way for a while. I say leave it be.
    8/13/16

When the drivers talk about aero push, it's an issue. What more do you need to know?

I keep hearing multigroove tracks. Watch the lates..they will run the same line lap after lap after lap, then it turns 1 groove. I'd change the nose pieces, the right front deal would no longer be able to tuck up under the fender, make to where there cars aren't glued to the track.

Makem go back to wedge noses. Maybe an inch lip on BOTH sides...max.
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!