Default Brake mounting on suspension

Back in the mid to late 90's we would run both the rear calipers on the birdcage, over time that has gone away and we then went with the caliper mounted to the axle tube. My question is, wouldn't with how the suspension is on the left rear now, mounting the caliper to the birdcage give some advantage to keep the car up on the bars when trail braking, and the stiffness of the suspension would keep it loaded when releasing the brakes, maybe even allow for less compression stiffness?
    Then on the RR im not quite sure how you would mount the brake if you were floated on the LR, if that was to be done? Part of me thinks you could use a floater on the RR to reduce influence on the birdcage to keep from locking motion (just thinking out loud). I know floated on LR and clamped on RR made the car tight on entry and then rotate off the brakes. On our mod a couple years ago we ran a floater on the LR and that worked well, but that doesn't seem to translate well to the latemodel? Just wondering some things..

I don't think it's allowed on lates anymore.

i ran a left rear brake floater for years on a conventional right front spring , but when i started running the soft rt front spring and the bump or the 2 stage spring , i found i didnt need it any more.

My interpretation of the rules is not that it would be illegal to float the brake caliper on your birdcage but it would be illegal to run a separate floater. That would fall into the "split" birdcage definition I believe.
    That being said, this is the only way I would ever run one. I would want my bar angle adjustments on the birdcage to be an independent adjustment that would not affect braking behavior.
    I've run a caliper on the RR birdcage and did not like it...too tight on entry under braking.
    I've never run floated on the LR but I've been told to be careful doing it especially if running 3-wheel brake. Very easy to spin out.

My ancient MB has a clamped caliper on the LR and the right rear caliper is bolted to the birdcage... I'm not smart enough to know what that means!
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    My ancient MB has a clamped caliper on the LR and the right rear caliper is bolted to the birdcage... I'm not smart enough to know what that means!
    This was a common setup even on the earlier smack cars. As setups advanced and more side bite became available, it proved to be unnecessary and in most cases made the car too tight on entry.

A lot of stuff I've done in life was unnecessary, too.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019