Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    They've been racing sprints at Volusia for decades without any incidents like Saldana's, so the thinking was likely that it was a freak occurence when Joey flipped out of the park. They learned the lesson the hard way that the fact of the matter was the fencing just isn't good enough just two days later. It's truly a shame people had to get hurt to teach that lesson, but the most inportant lessons are learned the hard way, particularly in motorsports.
    Lightning doesn't strike in the same.....whoops! Now I know why I always sit in the stands coming out of turn 1!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

When you go to a race you are taking a chance. Late 90's or early 2000's either CART or IRL race at Michigan. People were hit by parts 50 rows up. Their is no way to make it 100% safe for drivers, crews or fans. Most tickets have a disclaimer printed on them and most pit passes have a waiver to sign. It's easy to second guess the track, but fans put them selves in bad positions. Go to Eldora and see how close hundreds of people stand to the track. I do it every time I go. If something ever happens to me, it is not Eldoras fault.
    Go Buckeyes!!!

2 years ago when I was down there, Tyler Dipple rolled his mod right by the flag stand, it was a yard sale. Parts went into the stands that night and they hauled a feller out in the squad. As for what it was that hit him, I'm not sure. It was good bit down from where we sat.

Quote Originally Posted by bullring View Post
    What puzzles me is how this happened again. I've heard it was the same area where Saldana went out a couple days age. Just because they dodged a bullet once and no one was standing there they don't think it could happen again? No people should have been allowed back in that area until they made it safer.
    it wasn't in the same place

Safety is hard. The last death from a late model going into the bleachers was years ago, and the victim was in the 12th row up. The last spectator to die at the Indpls. 500 was sitting in the top row.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Many of us have attended racing at Volusia and it has been painfully evident for years that the backstretch catch fence is woefully inadequate. The first mistake was allowing spectators to be present in that area of the property given the insufficiency's of the catch fence.

It is undeniable that given the nature, weight and inherent design of open wheel racecars they are more susceptible to higher altitudes and more extended tumbles than their fendered counterparts. However, if adequate safety precautions are taken the danger to spectators is minimal regardless of what type of racecars are competing. We've attended literally dozens of open wheel events at high speed tracks such as Eldora, Perris and The Belleville Highbanks and their fencing is such that spectator injury due to a racecar leaving the track is extremely minimal at most

Of all the literally hundreds of dirt track racing events we've attended over the years the one and only spectator fatality was the result of a dirt late model getting into the catch fence. In the aftermath of that incident there was absolutely no talk of ending dirt late model racing. Attending racing events, regardless of their genre', has a degree of risk associated with it. To what degree is determined much more by precautions instituted by the track than the type cars competing.
    You raise some good points. Another track that needs to address this issue is Tri-City Speedway in Granite City, IL. While I enjoy going to the races there, I am surprised a sprint car has not gotten into the grandstands at that facility. A few years ago a non-wing sprint car would have easily cleared the fence, but hit a light pole and fell back onto the track. They definitely need to address it, before something like this incident happens there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Toledo, OH View Post
    When you go to a race you are taking a chance. Late 90's or early 2000's either CART or IRL race at Michigan. People were hit by parts 50 rows up. Their is no way to make it 100% safe for drivers, crews or fans.
    One of the first Indianapolis 500's we ever attended was 1987. A spectator from Wisconsin was killed that day. It was a little past half way through the race. He was setting in the top row of the grandstands between 3 & 4. A wheel had come off Tony Bettenhausen Jr.'s car and was hit by Roberto Guerrero who was running at full speed. That collision launched the wheel and tire all the way to the top of the grandstands. The man never knew or saw what hit him. It goes to show that there really is no 100% safe place at a racetrack. But in regards to the Volusia incident Josh is 100% correct. They should have learned from Joey's tumble.

Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    You raise some good points. Another track that needs to address this issue is Tri-City Speedway in Granite City, IL. While I enjoy going to the races there, I am surprised a sprint car has not gotten into the grandstands at that facility. A few years ago a non-wing sprint car would have easily cleared the fence, but hit a light pole and fell back onto the track. They definitely need to address it, before something like this incident happens there.
    fryfan, I went to Tri City for the USAC Gold Crown midget show a couple of years ago and feel much the same way. A car got in the air just off of turn 4 and was easily high enough to clear the catch fence I've attended several other events at TCS but always made sure we were setting as high as possible.

There are areas of the grandstands at Bubba Raceway Park that make us a bit nervous, too. When they come off of 4 and drift out towards the outside wall the trajectory the cars take makes us a little nervous. My wife refuses to sit in that area of the grandstands.
    Last edited by CIRF; 02-21-2017 at 08:45 AM.

The liability of the track in this situation is huge, since they already had one go over the fence earlier this week. The owners/management had proof that it could happen, and did nothing to increase safety afterward. Most of these tracks are a tragedy waiting to happen. The seating is built way too close to the tracks, and the catch fences are not adequate to stop a car.

they fixed it. they removed the back stretch bleachers.

Probably headed to double fencing like Eldora has done where they fence off a "landing" zone outside the normal catch fence. Eldora had to take out the bottom few rows on the front stretch to accommodate this, many tracks that I have attended would have to relocate bleachers altogether in order to pull this off.
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

Lasalle stands are right on top of track but the wall is very high before the fencing starts. They should of removed the bleachers after Saldana incident. Anyone heard on condition of the 3 hit?
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    Lasalle stands are right on top of track but the wall is very high before the fencing starts. They should of removed the bleachers after Saldana incident. Anyone heard on condition of the 3 hit?
    As of a day ago. One was released, one was stable, and the other was in critical condition.

Go to Screven and when the SLM come screaming out of 4 and down the front stretch and tell me if you don't wonder ? A car gets up into fence or clears it !!! A lot of people are going to get hurt.

Reminds me of Rockford Il. WOO sprint race last year, We were in the third row from bottom off turn 4, rough track, cars bouncing all over, that antique fence of theirs wasn't going to stop much!

Quote Originally Posted by intel8 View Post
    Reminds me of Rockford Il. WOO sprint race last year, We were in the third row from bottom off turn 4, rough track, cars bouncing all over, that antique fence of theirs wasn't going to stop much!
    Luckily that disaster got moved to Route 66 oval this year lol
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels