Default Rear Axle Length Question... Paging MBR or ????

My '96 Mastersbilt has a Winters QC. I've been s-l-o-w-l-y working on this car and this weekend I pulled the axles out so I can do some brake work.

My question... right axle length 37"... left axle length 32"... is that much difference in length what I need? The right axle tube is steel and the left aluminum so I'm wondering if the right side was damaged and replaced with whatever the PO had laying around...

This is a "wide combo" style rear clip (but it was a leaf car in the beginning). I have narrowed the tail to give more tire clearance for the right tire.

Paging MBR...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Could be that the right side was lengthened to keep from damaging the RR tire... common for the era i have been told.

I think I'll measure the front track and see what we have up there...
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    My '96 Mastersbilt has a Winters QC. I've been s-l-o-w-l-y working on this car and this weekend I pulled the axles out so I can do some brake work.

My question... right axle length 37"... left axle length 32"... is that much difference in length what I need? The right axle tube is steel and the left aluminum so I'm wondering if the right side was damaged and replaced with whatever the PO had laying around...

This is a "wide combo" style rear clip (but it was a leaf car in the beginning). I have narrowed the tail to give more tire clearance for the right tire.

Paging MBR...
    Measure the tube lengths, just cause the axle in it is ## don't mean the tube is the right length for that axle.

I second what billet said. A lot of those cars had 32/36 axle setups. I think we had 32/37 for axles with no spacer bolt. One axle was ground just a touch.

Should be 33/35 for the other smack down setup. 34/35 is gen x as far as I know.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 02-20-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    34/35 is gen x as far as I know.
    Correct...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    34/35 is gen x as far as I know.
    Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by collateralDamage View Post
    Interesting...
    How so? 34/35 is standard for a GenX car.

I'll get out in the shop Saturday and do some more measuring. If it IS a 37" right side axle would anyone advise using a wider front setup?
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I'll get out in the shop Saturday and do some more measuring. If it IS a 37" right side axle would anyone advise using a wider front setup?
    I would consider a wider front setup for that car anyway. But I would not leave the 37 rr.

I hear ya... gotta get out the tape measure then have somebody read it for me... 3rd grade was the best three years of my life.
    Class of 2019

Got the tape out... not quite 5" difference in the axle tubes measured from the inside face of the hub (at the bearing race) to the bell at the point where it meets the tube...

Never paid much attention before but I have a gun drilled left axle and a solid right axle... I would bet, with the right tube being steel, that there was some damage at one point.

Also took a closer look and see it's a mag rear not aluminum like I assumed... it has that grey oxidized look like a vintage set of Halibrand sprint car wheels. It has a 4.86 R&P... never checked it before. Got a dozen or so fine shavings in the housing under the QC gears... looks kinda normal to me.

Now I have to add two things to my list... build a fixture to be able to stand the rear up on it's left spindle so I can service it and I'll be looking for an aluminum axle tube and a shorter gun drilled axle... the plot thickens.
    Last edited by Krooser; 03-11-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Class of 2019

Just bolt it to a wheel. Makes for a nifty stand.

That would work... I've used a agricultural disc about 18" in diameter as a base with a 5"diameter x 15" tall steel tube welded to it...

Like my ex... cheap and easy. Works good for a grinder stand, to.
    Class of 2019