Default Champion helmets

Been looking at the SA2015 Champion carbon fiber helmet. My helmet is outdated, so I need a new one. This looks like a nice helmet for the money. Anybody have any experience with this helmet, good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by w2racing#2 View Post
    Been looking at the SA2015 Champion carbon fiber helmet. My helmet is outdated, so I need a new one. This looks like a nice helmet for the money. Anybody have any experience with this helmet, good or bad?
    Has anyone ever heard of Champion Helmets? Don't seem to be much info about them online.

About all I find is info on their motorcycle helmets. They seem nice but of course aren't SFI. Check out the "name" brands...lot of good carbon fiber stuff out there.

Ok Champion helmets don't seem to be popular. How about Zamp helmets? Anybody have any good/bad experience with Zamp helmets?

Bought one last year for an update. Looked decent, fit very well & had a very nice, comfortable liner but I thought the tearoff posts and the faceshield were poorly made and wouldn't hold up. Also the chin strap seemed in a bad location, at least for me. Returned it and got another G Force,my 3rd, and love it. Roughly $80 more than Zamp but worth it.

With very few exceptions, the old saying is true: You get what you pay for. I've used Simpson for 25 years and would only consider switching to Bell or Impact. Motorcycle helmets are for guys that spent all their money on a bike and are buying the cheapest helmet they can find to be legal. If you race cars on a regular basis, safety equipment should be a big part of your budget. Just my 2c

I have a Zamp... seems to be well made. I'm usually not a fan of Chinese stuff but this helmet seems to be fine for my noggin.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    With very few exceptions, the old saying is true: You get what you pay for. I've used Simpson for 25 years and would only consider switching to Bell or Impact. Motorcycle helmets are for guys that spent all their money on a bike and are buying the cheapest helmet they can find to be legal. If you race cars on a regular basis, safety equipment should be a big part of your budget. Just my 2c
    Thanks for the input. I pretty much agree with u, but the problem is "race on a regular basis". I may only drive my car 1 or 2 times this year. Someone else will b driving for me most times. But my helmet is outdated so if I want to drive at all I need a new helmet. Just trying to find an acceptable substitute to spending 6-800 on a helmet that will barely get used.

You only need to use it once to justify the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ric78 View Post
    You only need to use it once to justify the cost.
    I see this kind of comments from time to time. While I see the point, some perspective needs addressing. A quality helmet that's accepts the responsibility and meets the price point is what's needed right? I wouldn't pick a helmet based on just price because one who races a four cylinder class or factory stock class likely doesn't need the bells and whistles of a $2000 helmet nor does one racing several nights per week for 40 weeks need a $200 helmet. Both would meet the minimum safety factor rating of SA designation but that's not all the story either. More expensive probably means longer lasting before dirt, sweat, rocks and mudd depreciate the safety factor. I can't fathom why a helmet that meets the minimum safety factor but used a few times per would be inferior. If one were to argue that the minimum safety factor shouldn't be the goal but instead maximizing the safety than why have a minimum standard at all? Why not let the manufacture set their own standard and advertise it with the data to back it up?
    I guess it's up to the consumer to know what the minimum is and assume more cost means more protection. Sadly it doesn't in all cases. I really wish crash data were available so I can decide how much to pay for the extras I may or may not use. My helmet is made by Stroud. They specialize in parachutes and tethers for the higher classes of straight line guys. You know, the one with no corners on either end? It's a very good helmet lasting me 7 years so far. I paid about $300 for it and for the customer service on the above mentioned questions and I got great answers. Unfortunately they stopped making them because marketing is too expensive to break into the world of Bell, Impact, Simpson, etc. I guess my point is don't be afraid to look at all the options as long as your satisfied with the durabilty, safety factor and price points.
    Just because it's not a buzz word doesn't mean it's low quality.

Take a look at Zero nine and HJC. Both are well known in the motocross/supercross and enduro circles. Both make a SA rated helmet priced around $300 and are very well accepted as good quality but is virtually unknown to the dirt track guys.
    Last edited by Lizardracing; 02-26-2017 at 11:40 PM.