Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I think Nascar just jumped the shark

This segment racing has gone way to far with the gimmicks first the chase now this

Quote Originally Posted by drano View Post
    This segment racing has gone way to far with the gimmicks first the chase now this
    They jumped the shark when Bill Jr. Passed control down to his son Brian. At that time, NASCAR was legitimately on the level of the NBA and MLB. Revenues were through the roof, 2 major network tv deals, sold out tracks everywhere, 50 cars vying for 43 spots. Brian France has run NASCAR into the ground. Gone are the major network tv deals, the sold out events, and being on par with 2 of the big 3. Gone are North Wilkesboro, Rockingham, and two Darlington dates. Most races are half filled with fans. They don't even have full fields anymore. The Chase, and now the "Playoffs" are a pathetic attempt to turn racing into some kind of stick and ball circus.

It could be argued that NASCAR is now less popular than the NHL, MLS, the PGA, and tennis. All because of Brians's greed. The rules change every year, sometimes more than once a year. Personalities are suppressed. NASCAR sucks up tons of sponsors as the official this and that of NASCAR. The points change, the cars change, the blatant fake cautions abound. Yep, they jumped the shark about 15 years ago.
    Last edited by t3r3e3; 02-26-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

Nascar is run by non racers and they want to run it like a ball sport. like they say you can't fix stupid.

Hard to argue with this man!

Roger Penske says NASCAR is in good shape

Paul Warner/Getty Images

Feb 25, 2017
    Jayski.com Staff

FacebookShare
    TwitterTweet
    Facebook Messenger
    PinterestPinterest
    @EmailEmail
    °print
    £comment

Ahead of Sunday's big Daytona 500, racing legend Roger Penske dismissed claims that his sport is faltering.

"I see the sport as stronger than ever from a competitive standpoint," he said on CNBC's "Squawk on the Street."

As the NASCAR season kicks off at Daytona 500, new questions have emerged about the state of stock car racing as both viewership numbers and admissions are seeing major declines.

NASCAR's television viewership is down 45 percent, and sponsors aren't paying even half what they used to as fans simply aren't showing up to the track, according to a recent report in the Wall Street Journal.

"I was the chairman of the Super Bowl in 2006 in Detroit where we had 70,000 people," Penske said. "When you think about NASCAR every single weekend, we have more fans than the Super Bowl brings every single weekend 38 times. And I would say when you pack and load social media and the connection to the drivers and teams I think we're in the best shape ever."

Penske said that his team's sponsorship also is strong. On Friday, Team Penske, which consists of frontrunners Joey Logano and Brad Keselowski, it was extending a seven-year deal with Shell-Pennzoil to sponsor two of his racers both on and off the track (NASCAR's Joey Logano and IndyCar's Helio Castroneves).

"Companies that scrutinize the marketing aspects of this and the returns are saying this is a great place to be," Penske added.

(CNBC)
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Congrats to Kurt Busch and Ryan Blaney

Wth is this crap??? "As will be the case throughout the entire 2017 NASCAR Cup Series, the race will be divided into three stages. While the length of stages will vary depending on the track during the season, the(not a nice word)Daytona 500 will feature two 60-lap stages and an 80-lap stage, with a competition caution after the completion of the first two."In addition to the regular points being awarded at the end of the race, points will also be given out based on order at the completion of each of the first two stages.
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

I thought it was a pretty good race..not sure what peoples expectations are these days..it's 500 miles, they're not gonna go three wide the whole race...restrictor plate racing has been going on for what 25 years now, some races are real good and some not so much, part of it....

if they wreck a lot people bitch, if it goes caution free, it's boring and people bitch.

with that said, the stage racing is stupid as is the five minute rule after a wreck and the points system is so clustered now I don't even pay attention to that aspect of it anymore, don't care who the champion is cause whoever it is should have an asterick by it....

kyle busch misses 11 races and is still crowned champion tells you all you need to know right there...
    powerslave

Quote Originally Posted by dirtracr33 View Post
    with that said, the stage racing is stupid as is the five minute rule after a wreck and the points system is so clustered now I don't even pay attention to that aspect of it anymore, don't care who the champion is cause whoever it is should have an asterick by it....

kyle busch misses 11 races and is still crowned champion tells you all you need to know right there...
    Yep, I would agree.

We didn't watch any of the Daytona 500 due to being on a airplane from Jacksonville, on our way home from a weekend of great dirt track racing at Bubba Raceway Park in Ocala. We've been to over 20 Daytona Speedweeks over the years. Stopped going to anything at the big racetrack during Speedweeks over 10 years ago. Don't miss it at all. If we'd have been home we would have watched some of the 500 on TV but it would have been purely for lack of anything better to do.

Restrictor plate races are the worst on the schedule and one of them is supposed to be NASCAR's showcase event. Winning a restrictor plate race is almost universally an exercise of pure luck. I don't put much stock in who wins or loses restrictor plate races.

On a positive note, supposedly Daytona sold out again this year. I reckon removing more than half the seating over the past 5 or 6 years is the reason. What's the place hold now, 60,000? Indy seats more people between turn 4 and the S/F line! But hey, whose counting! LOL!!
    Last edited by CIRF; 02-27-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Lets see...... first race the Daytona 500, first race with Nascar new sponsor Monster energy....... winner Kurt Busch his sponsor Monster Energy what's the odds of that happening I guess 1 in 43 or how every many they start now, seems to have worked out great.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Yep, I would agree. We didn't watch any of the Daytona 500 due to being on a airplane from Jacksonville, on our way home from a weekend of great dirt track racing at Bubba Raceway Park in Ocala. We've been to over 20 Daytona Speedweeks over the years. Stopped going to anything at the big racetrack during Speedweeks over 10 years ago. Don't miss it at all. If we'd have been home we would have watched some of the 500 on TV but it would have been purely for lack of anything better to do. Restrictor plate races are the worst on the schedule and one of them is supposed to be NASCAR's showcase event. Winning a restrictor plate race is almost universally an exercise of pure luck. I don't put much stock in who wins or loses restrictor plate races. On a positive note, supposedly Daytona sold out again this year. I reckon removing more than half the seating over the past 5 or 6 years is the reason. What's the place hold now, 60,000? Indy seats more people between turn 4 and the S/F line! But hey, whose counting! LOL!!
    We knew you wouldn't regret going to watch some good old balls to the wall sprint action. BTW from what I saw from all of the Daytona Speedway action the only real and honest racing was from the truck race. Former open wheeler Christopher Bell put on the best show of all. He spun, was spinning 2 feet off the ground like a helicopter blade, landed, wrecked a few other times and still kept coming from the back to front time after time. Nothing seemed to phase him. he kept a comin and comin like a big old freight train. A never give up attitude !

Yep, I would agree.We didn't watch any of the Daytona 500 due to being on a airplane from Jacksonville, on our way home from a weekend of great dirt track racing at Bubba Raceway Park in Ocala. We've been to over 20 Daytona Speedweeks over the years. Stopped going to anything at the big racetrack during Speedweeks over 10 years ago. Don't miss it at all. If we'd have been home we would have watched some of the 500 on TV but it would have been purely for lack of anything better to do.Restrictor plate races are the worst on the schedule and one of them is supposed to be NASCAR's showcase event. Winning a restrictor plate race is almost universally an exercise of pure luck. I don't put much stock in who wins or loses restrictor plate races.On a positive note, supposedly Daytona sold out again this year. I reckon removing more than half the seating over the past 5 or 6 years is the reason. What's the place hold now, 60,000? Indy seats more people between turn 4 and the S/F line! But hey, whose counting! LOL!!
    The official grandstand seating capacity (after the $400 Million grandstand renovation) is 101,500. The official attendance figures for the 2003, 2005, and 2006 Daytona 500s is 200,000 (peak), with 2004 not disclosed. It shouldn't be hard to sell out if you knock down nearly half of the seats, and replace other seats with wider seats. This year's 500 didn't even sell out until the weekend of the race. I believe the cheapest ticket is ~$95, you couldn't even see the whole track, and that's in addition to parking, food, lodging, etc. BTW, NASCAR tracks no longer release attendance figures as of 2014. Gee, I wonder why?
    Last edited by Shiny Side Up 18; 02-27-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Quote Originally Posted by dirtracr33 View Post

I like the segment deal... a reason to race rather then stroke during the middle of the race... that part I likes as well as the strategy was pretty cool, it got Kyle B the first segment win... I never have ever worried about points.... that's up to the drivers and car owners, as a fan, I want good racing and the had a bunch of that... had a few "experience" wrecks, but that goes along with the territory....

So your saying NASCAR gave Kyle the Championship? If you believe that, you are totally clueless when it comes to racing.... clueless... explain to me how you can fix a race.... you don't know if the guy will wreck, blow up, lose a tire....get lapped etc etc etc.... not to mention, I don't know of a driver less liked by NASCAR then Kyle Busch....
    Last edited by mudslinger47; 02-27-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bullslinger47 View Post
    So your saying NASCAR gave Kyle the Championship? If you believe that, you are totally clueless when it comes to racing.... clueless... explain to me how you can fix a race.... you don't know if the guy will wreck, blow up, lose a tire....get lapped etc etc etc.... not to mention, I don't know of a driver less liked by NASCAR then Kyle Busch....
    pee wee jr. received a dispensation from NASCAR which allowed him to circumvent rules that all other competitors had to abide by. Bottom line is this, the rules and circumstances surrounding the 2015 Cup championship were purposefully altered by NASCAR to benefit one driver and team, therefor that championship is forever illegitimate. Don't bother with the lame refrain that the rules had been altered for other drivers and teams. It was no more right for them to have them waived than it was for pee wee jr. It so happens they didn't win a championship but if they did it would be equally illegitimate.

NASCAR has in fact rigged races. 1990 Sears Point, 1998 Daytona 500 and 1999 Bristol night race. The 1998 Daytona 500 is borderline but in fact it was a NASCAR no call that allowed the eventual winner to be in position to win. I have detailed the circumstances of those events and won't bother to explain them again. The facts are what they are and those with an unbiased perspective can understand what happened.

Yep, this is the best racing in the world. No gimmicks, just 410 cubic inches, 875 horses, 1350 lbs., no wings, spoilers or splitters..............just great big balls!!!

I would've figured Roger Penske would be a little smarter than to try to compare the NFL / Super Bowl with Nascar. He must be as big of a dummie as Brian France. Nascar only has one "game" a week to attend. The NFL has what 10 - 15 games a week going on? Also, Those Super Bowl tickets cost what $1000 minimum? Nascar can't even sell out charging $40 for grand stand tickets.

and few years ago they wanted to simplify the points system.....now I'm not even gonna waste any effort trying to figure this new segment crap out.

What I heard was France heard of all these complainers on 4m over Nascar so, he said I will really give them something to complain about and boy did he lmao!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    What I heard was France heard of all these complainers on 4m over Nascar so, he said I will really give them something to complain about and boy did he lmao!!!!
    Kid, this is nothing compared to what went on here when the old NASCAR board was still in existence! It was non-stop pissin' and moanin' about how Rick Hendrick, Jeff Gordon and Evernham was cheatin' and being coddled by NASCAR and handed race wins by the dozens, etc. Later on it was Rick Hendrick, Chad Knaus and JJ that were being coddled. There are still one or two of the clowns (you know who you are!) that got the NASCAR board shut down still here. They moved on to a board that they pretty much let them have their way and if anyone pressed them they were banned. Don't know where they all ended up at but I bet it's a real treat to see what they babble about these days.

While im old school and don't like the new Nascrap, didn't they give us what we asked for?

2 heat races and a A main....kinda sorta!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

pee wee jr. received a dispensation from NASCAR which allowed him to circumvent rules that all other competitors had to abide by. Bottom line is this, the rules and circumstances surrounding the 2015 Cup championship were purposefully altered by NASCAR to benefit one driver and team, therefor that championship is forever illegitimate. Don't bother with the lame refrain that the rules had been altered for other drivers and teams. It was no more right for them to have them waived than it was for pee wee jr. It so happens they didn't win a championship but if they did it would be equally illegitimate.

NASCAR has in fact rigged races. 1990 Sears Point, 1998 Daytona 500 and 1999 Bristol night race. The 1998 Daytona 500 is borderline but in fact it was a NASCAR no call that allowed the eventual winner to be in position to win. I have detailed the circumstances of those events and won't bother to explain them again. The facts are what they are and those with an unbiased perspective can understand what happened.
    You have someone's opinion...that's it...so in essence ya got nothing... Kyle wasn't afforded anything any other racer wouldn't be afforded.... If they were trying to give the championship to Tony the effed that one up good didn't they? eye roll