Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limit chain

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I don't think it would be that difficult to put a bumpstop in a shock and have it not harm the piston.
    I was thinking the same. Both cars had Penskes and were underslung.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Gas is a fluid. If you have a piston and a fluid, you have a shock. You are not allowed a shock on the limiter.
    Gas is a fluid, however it is not a liquid. There's a huge difference in the states of matter.
    Oil used in a shock absorber is a liquid.

The "gas" limiters will function properly on dry shop air, they do not require nitrogen per information I have been supplied.
    Last edited by Renegade Cust Susp; 03-01-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    If it says one droop limiting chain then that would mean a CHAIN only to me, no other contraptions in between....

If more was legal it would say droop limiting chain and device or chain and $$$
    So if a rule book says, A brand of fuel (gasoline) is legal does that mean methanol/alcohol is inherently illegal? That logic is a little off base

I don't think it would be that difficult to put a bumpstop in a shock and have it not harm the piston.
    Not hard at all as long as the shock components are robust enough

So if you have a under slung chassis you don't need to run the chain?

Quote Originally Posted by 95rayburn View Post
    So if you have a under slung chassis you don't need to run the chain?
    Only if you want the under rail to be the limiting factor. Best to run something adjustable (chain limiter or shims/bumps on under rail). LR travel is a pretty noticeable adjustment to those who use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Cust Susp View Post
    Gas is a fluid, however it is not a liquid. There's a huge difference in the states of matter.
    Oil used in a shock absorber is a liquid.

The "gas" limiters will function properly on dry shop air, they do not require nitrogen per information I have been supplied.
    All fluids have a viscosity. Including all gasses. You can make a shock with zero liquid inside.

I remember Bloomer having to take a devise apart and show that there was nothing inside of it.I wonder if there was just no fluid in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Let me guess...bent bird cage ears, busted transmission seal. Been there done that. I've considered running a "backup" chain and keeping it about 1/2 longer. I'm personally not worried about what the rules say until somebody actually techs my car.
    Exactly what happened actually cracked the ears at the front of the mount. You better have something to stop the indexing force weather it be and under slung or a chain. I have another question also I've seen the Earnhardt technologies pieces, and I'm aware they offer one gas or you can get it with a spring. I thought we determined years ago that you need a positive stop for consistency, chain is going to stop in the same place everytime. Can this be said about these pieces ETG. has developed?

Quote Originally Posted by GRT62 View Post
    I thought we determined years ago that you need a positive stop for consistency, chain is going to stop in the same place everytime. Can this be said about these pieces ETG. has developed?
    There is a difference in slowing/dampening the travel just before the limit and using something like a spring that can/will pull the car down and let it lift back up (pogo'ing) with a slight change in LR traction like driving across a slick spot. The less dampened or softer spring rate used with increase the chance of this happening and likely hurt the car way more then anything you will gain.

Now do some of these devises work, some do and some don't and some are legal and some aren't depending on where or what you race. Sadly your going to have to test it yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RCJ View Post
    I remember Bloomer having to take a devise apart and show that there was nothing inside of it.I wonder if there was just no fluid in it?
    There was no fluid in it, thus the reason it was deemed legal by lucas oil. Least at atomic (IIRC) where it was taken apart by Lucas officials.

All fluids have a viscosity. Including all gasses. You can make a shock with zero liquid inside.
    In the way that you are using shock (absorber) you are correct, technically anything that physically dampens force is a shock.

Hadn't gotten this in depth into the engineering of the components yet, however a gas will gain viscosity as it heats up, and viscosity of it will also change under pressure. Interesting direction, all be it probably not enough to directly effect much.....hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Cust Susp View Post
    In the way that you are using shock (absorber) you are correct, technically anything that physically dampens force is a shock.

Hadn't gotten this in depth into the engineering of the components yet, however a gas will gain viscosity as it heats up, and viscosity of it will also change under pressure. Interesting direction, all be it probably not enough to directly effect much.....hmmm
    It would take very small passages, obviously. And aircraft quality seals to survive without lubrication, but very doable. My point is that since the sanctioning bodies became scared of the boogeyman they wrote a giant rulebook they can't enforce. By allowing closed-tube type limiters, they can allow a lot of things to happen out of sight. If no closed tubes were allowed, an eyeball inspection would suffice. It could work and be disassembled and have no fluid. That would fool most inspectors. I hope Penske sends me one when they take my idea. Only fair...