Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limit chain

Default Limit chain

What are everyone thoughts on running a spring ,bump stop or some thing else in the limit chain vs. nothing?

Got to look over a brand new 2017 Rocket last week. It had the chain with 2 bump rubbers.

fwiw....no one will be able to copy that Keyser built upper control arm mount!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Default Limiter

Quote Originally Posted by RCJ View Post
    What are everyone thoughts on running a spring ,bump stop or some thing else in the limit chain vs. nothing?
    Nothing/just chain will hit and unload LR tire, some very cool pieces coming out of Earnhardt Technologies Group (gas,spring,or rubber) limiters, very nice pieces. If you interested in info let me know as I am a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Cust Susp View Post
    Nothing/just chain will hit and unload LR tire, some very cool pieces coming out of Earnhardt Technologies Group (gas,spring,or rubber) limiters, very nice pieces. If you interested in info let me know as I am a dealer.
    What kind of reviews have your customers given those?
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Cust Susp View Post
    I have no idea how the gas can be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by RCJ View Post
    If you can do it without causing oscillating of the rear axle.

Saw a couple top tier teams not running one during speedweeks.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I thought gas/hydraulic would be best and I thought they were illegal also.Would a Cot style bump stop have less oscillations than a spring?The last club 29 I looked at was using the underslug with what looked like an adjustable rubber bumper.

Default Legal

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I have no idea how the gas can be legal.
    From my understanding the unified rules only specify a verticals drop limiter above the axle to hold drop. And it has to be a single chain, beyond that the rules do not say anything specific about construction of the droop limiting chain.

Not saying my interpretation is 100% correct.

Default New

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    What kind of reviews have your customers given those?
    Specific to my customers I can't say I have a whole lot of feedback, new components just unveiled at PRI in December. However I know ETG has been working with the 116 of Overton and a few others this season, and did their R&D last season with a few top teams.

If it says one droop limiting chain then that would mean a CHAIN only to me, no other contraptions in between....

If more was legal it would say droop limiting chain and device or chain and $$$

Gas is a fluid. If you have a piston and a fluid, you have a shock. You are not allowed a shock on the limiter.

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Saw a couple top tier teams not running one during speedweeks.
    Does this mean they have figured out how to build it inside of the shock so as to not need the outside chain? What brand of shocks were they on?

Or were they underslung chassis'?

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    Does this mean they have figured out how to build it inside of the shock so as to not need the outside chain? What brand of shocks were they on?
    I don't think it would be that difficult to put a bumpstop in a shock and have it not harm the piston.

Why do you need one, if you can get the LR to Travel 15 plus inches? The RF maxed out is gonna stop it before the chain ever will. I think that's the theory on no chain.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Why do you need one, if you can get the LR to Travel 15 plus inches? The RF maxed out is gonna stop it before the chain ever will. I think that's the theory on no chain.
    Once you have all that bar angle, it is going to go on until something tops out.

Broke a chain mount one night and it over indexed the bars and tore a bunch of stuff up. RF pinned down definitely didn't stop it from climbing the bars.

i have not used a chain since we got on the under slung frames now , but i made a bump stop type thing to go on the under slung frame that can be adjusted to control hike like a chain, is that legal?

Quote Originally Posted by GRT62 View Post
    Broke a chain mount one night and it over indexed the bars and tore a bunch of stuff up. RF pinned down definitely didn't stop it from climbing the bars.
    Let me guess...bent bird cage ears, busted transmission seal. Been there done that. I've considered running a "backup" chain and keeping it about 1/2 longer. I'm personally not worried about what the rules say until somebody actually techs my car.