Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chassis brand

Walter Newman Race Cars out of Augusta, Ga. had a car called that, at one time.
    Because Dirt's for Racin'...

Brandon Overton had a Bush Whacker about 2 years ago, I saw him run it at Tri-County in Brasstown. Plain black car with white letters.

Quote Originally Posted by RayCook53fan View Post
    Brandon Overton had a Bush Whacker about 2 years ago, I saw him run it at Tri-County in Brasstown. Plain black car with white letters.
    Speaking of him, I saw his 16' Victory Circle is for sale on racing junk.

People come up with some odd names.

Casey Roberts started making a name for himself in a Bushwacker, by Walter Newman.

My favorite name is a toss up between Dirty White Boy and Jiggalow. Although actually I do like Kryptonite.
    Tyler Williams, Announcer for the Southeast Dirt Modified Series, co-host of The Half Priced Concessions Podcast - available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, YouTube and on www.anchor.fm/HPCpodcast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    Walter Newman Race Cars out of Augusta, Ga. had a car called that, at one time.
    He still does.
    https://www.facebook.com/Walter-Newm...6082813464965/

What about Smoky Joes?
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

theay must not want to sale real bad

It's spelled JIG-A- LO I think Scorpion race cars are the offspring of them built by Ben Thomas and his son Jimmy good race cars also. Smoky Joe's no longer builds cars although Jody still races some. I go by about once a week and talk to Joe super guy. When I was 18 years old and Smoky Joe's was starting to build chassis I went to work for him it was a dream job with me racing myself and getting paid to build race cars. The first cars Were Tri City Buggy which were the same as a Howe.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    What about Smoky Joes?
    I'm not sure if Smokey Joe is still building cars. His son Jody Summerville retired from racing several years ago and I haven't seen or heard from them in a while. He was kinda like TNT, built interpretations of other cars as well as his own designs. Geometrically they match up with whomever you wanted but the cage/frame layout was all Smokey Joe's. Built nice stuff.

Ah yes Jig-A-Lo, "Jimmy's Speed Shop" they built a superb leaf/coil dirt late models and even some ARCA cars too. Jig-A-Lo was I think Bobby Thomas mainly and then his brother Ben Started Scorpion Race cars. I'd like to have an old leaf spring Jig-A-Lo, my friend Stan Massey drove the house car for a while and told me it was the best car he'd ever sat in, bar none.
    Last edited by LeafMaster41; 03-06-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeafMaster41 View Post
    I'm not sure if Smokey Joe is still building cars. His son Jody Summerville retired from racing several years ago and I haven't seen or heard from them in a while. He was kinda like TNT, built interpretations of other cars as well as his own designs. Geometrically they match up with whomever you wanted but the cage/frame layout was all Smokey Joe's. Built nice stuff.

Ah yes Jig-A-Lo, "Jimmy's Speed Shop" they built a superb leaf/coil dirt late models and even some ARCA cars too. Jig-A-Lo was I think Bobby Thomas mainly and then his brother Ben Started Scorpion Race cars. I'd like to have an old leaf spring Jig-A-Lo, my friend Stan Massey drove the house car for a while and told me it was the best car he'd ever sat in, bar none.
    Jody and his dad were 2 of the good guys. Really enjoyed talking to them at the track.

I saw recently where Jody had raced at eams last fall.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by President Clinton View Post
    Casey Roberts started making a name for himself in a Bushwacker, by Walter Newman.
    Yes he did. Matter of fact Buck Simmons took over that ride when Casey left, I still have the seat Buck used. Slab Sellars out of Toccoa owned it. We took it and Buck to the National 100 in 99'. Good times. and its like you spelled it, one word, "Bushwacker" which was a sort of guerilla fighter in the civil war if I'm not mistaken. Ironically that particular frame was about 3 years old before Casey and Slab started using it, they started out with an old Rayburn and were winning so much Casey never wanted to try the Walter Newman car out. They even approached Rayburn about building them another car like the old one they were winning with, he said he would. Slab finally convinced Casey to give the Bushwacker a try before they went ahead with a new Rayburn and they never looked back.
    Last edited by CageFaraday; 09-13-2018 at 07:54 AM.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Very interesting stuff in this thread. Thanks.

Yes there is. And some brands you hear very little about anymore

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rdcllk View Post
    Yes there is. And some brands you hear very little about anymore
    Yes, I've seen a few pass on in my time. Custom Chassis out of Columbus Georgia was a national player in the early 80's and extremely innovative, but mismanagement put them in bankruptcy before the end of the decade. The team I started out with in 86' attempted to buy all the jigs and tooling from the bank, but lost out to a drag racer of all things. Jig-A-Lo was another big player and one of the first major DLM chassis builders, located across the river from Custom in Phenix City, AL. Jig-A-Lo I guess didn't die, but morphed into what is today Scorpion Rac Cars and passed from one brother to the next. I don't know the details on that one, but love'em or hate'em, their family legacy continues along with EAMS and the National 100 too. There was another builder in the 70's & 80's in South Carolina that was pretty good, he ended up going into street rods. I believe his name was Hawkins, but I'm not sure on that. Another Carolina builder was Tri-City Buggy, they still exist, but they don't build DLM's anymore, but I do know where one of there old chassis is in storage. If I think of more I'll post later, Florence is coming soon, so it may be next week.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

the whole thomas operation has gone to crap in my opinion , track and all , they have cheated so many people , including my self , over the years that there aint much left , little willi has a good run ever now and then , but thats about it , and cage , i try not to hate on anyone , but after 15yrs , i still have a bad taste in my mouth over the whole bunch.............

What about Ray Callahan and bullet chassis they were a major player on the national scene for awhile

I'm pretty sure the year Buckshot Miles ran the xtreme series he was in a bushwaker. Speaking of Buckshot where is he now? Haven't seen his name in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by CageFaraday View Post
    Yes he did. Matter of fact Buck Simmons took over that ride when Casey left, I still have the seat Buck used. Slab Sellars out of Toccoa owned it. We took it and Buck to the National 100 in 99'. Good times. and its like you spelled it, one word, "Bushwacker" which was a sort of guerilla fighter in the civil war if I'm not mistaken. Ironically that particular frame was about 3 years old before Casey and Slab started using it, they started out with an old Rayburn and were winning so much Casey never wanted to try the Walter Newman car out. They even approached Rayburn about building them another car like the old one they were winning with, he said he would. Slab finally convinced Casey to give the Bushwacker a try before they went ahead with a new Rayburn and they never looked back.
    Back in the early NLMS days, Walter Newman built quite a few winning stock clip chassis'.