Default Smokey Mountain Speedway info??

My wife asked me if I was interested in going to the WoO race at Smokey Mountain Speedway for my birthday in May, we would fly into Knoxville the 12th catch the race the 13th and head off for a little mini trip till wed. the 17th. Can anyone recommend a resort/cabin in the smokey mountains, possible things to do/see and or places to avoid??

Thanks for the help!!!

There are hundreds of thousands of rental cabins and hotels in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg to choose from, an hour or so from the track. Anything you can imagine to eat, and so many things to do from shopping, to Dollywood, to go karts and laser tag, to exploring/hiking the national park, I could go on all day. As far as places to avoid, the traffic probably won't be terrible that time of year on a Mon-Wed. I will say this, if you rent a cabin, ask if it has city water or the sulfur water... if it has the well water with the sulfur smell you will literally choke to death just trying to shower or wash your hands! lol

RayCook fan, You're right about the water, I worked around Servierville 22 years before retiring, I talked to someone who drilled for water for well use, He said it was hard to find and when you did it wasn't good for drinking or washing! It amazed me how deep that they had to drill to even find water!

Get on VRBO and look up #113045 or google Another World Log Cabin. We have stayed in it more than once and it's a nice cabin just far enough out of town to be peaceful despite not being hardly 5 minutes out of town and at a reasonable price too. Make sure you eat at Huck Finn's and go to the island one night and ride the wheel.

World 100 winner John Blankenship has some camp cabins at his Bear Cove Village Campground (the closest campground to Dollywood) that are cool. Little small cozy cabins at a good rate if you are just looking for a place to lay your head and wash your hind end before spending the day being a tourist.

www.outrageouscabins.com

How touristy you wanting to get? Townsend, Tn has a couple of decent hotels without trying to get back to Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge after the race. Before we had our daughter we stayed at the willowbrook lodge in Pigeon Forge. Nice spot, friendly people, close to most things. www.willowbrooklodge.com

Food in that area is all over the map.

If you want nice romantic night out, The Peddler in Gatlinburg or The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge.
    Steaks Alamo Steakhouse or Bullfish Grill
    BBQ Bennetts
    Burgers The Blue Moose in PF
    Get breakfast at the Apple Barn

Avoid No Way Jose Mexican place at all costs. Aquarium in GB is pretty cool.
    Last edited by B_K; 03-02-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Make the trip. Excellent racing

Check out Oak Haven Resort. It's actually outside of Sevierville. Very private, lots of ammenities, and great facilities. We have stayed there a number of times.

Two words - Support Local. The area is still recovering from the deadly fires from November.

#SmokiesStrong. #SevierStrong

Thanks for the info / advice everyone, we didn’t realize this is the area that had the big fires last fall. We are not the tourist type that enjoys crowds so we most likely will find some places off the beaten path to hike or if ATV rental is in the area get a couple of them and check out the trails and scenery.
    But we will do everything we can to help the local economy!!!

Gatlinburg Falls Resort has loads of choices if it wasn't hurt by the fires.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

My wife and I just moved from Knoxville in November so I'll throw out some ideas. I would agree with B_K on places to eat, I think. Definitely agree on AVOIDING No Way Jose....not good. One more option on eating...if you don't mind a little bit of a drive, just south of Knoxville, on Chapman Highway, is a steakhouse called Ye Olde Steakhouse. It's a little pricey but the steak was the best I had while in Knoxville.

Tons and tons of options for cabins all around Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge...just get online and look. They are everywhere. Townsend is a little town just outside of the park on highway 321 and has a few options around for lodging. It is also the closest place to the race track...out of the options of Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Dollywood...if that is something that would weigh on your decision of where to stay