Thread: QC gaskets....

Default QC gaskets....

What are you guys using for gaskets on your quick change rear covers and hubs?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Use the heavy duty cover gaskets with the metal in between..
    Josh K.

Makes sense... when I bought this old car there weren't any gaskets on the cover or drive plates... I'm assuming the drive plates should have them? The car was stored inside but I was still surprised there wasn't any water in the QC.

One more question about those Seals-It style seals for the axle tubes. Do you run just one on the right tube or one in each tube? Back in the late 60's we started installing a homemade sheet metal seal inside our Ford 9" rear axles but only on the right side just to keep the gear lube in te center section...
    Class of 2019

We always just used the standard cardboardy gaskets on the quickchange but when I called Speedway Engineering for some parts for the 9" Ford in the super stock a couple of months back and tried to get some gaskets for that I was told they don't even carry them & to just to use silicone, which is what we've pretty much used for years. Never had any leaks but I've always been concerned about excess getting into the pumpkin. Also got their brand of axle seals & was told put one in each side. Curiously, we ended up with leaking Left tube, called them again and the shop guy told not to run the left one and drop the fluid a half quart. No leak now.

I Q/C has a seal in side the bell and should never have grease in the tube.i silicone the drive flange but I don't think it is necessary.

RCJ...

It's been 30 years since I had a QC apart... going to check to be sure all is well inside and will be sure that seal is intact. I do see some silicone on the drive flanges so you are likely correct.

Any real benefit in using the Seals-It brand of tube seal or will the standard Winters deal be OK?
    Class of 2019

how would you even install inner axle seals? you cant pull the pumpkin out of a quick change like a 9".

not to mention quick change axle tubes are DRY

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    how would you even install inner axle seals? you cant pull the pumpkin out of a quick change like a 9".

not to mention quick change axle tubes are DRY
    They make seals that go in the tube. The tube is supposed to be dry. It isn't always if you overfill, spend a lot of time stationary on a HIGH bank, etc.