Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default trump getting rid of ethanol

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ho...rticle/2616201

Next let's get the 7.3l legal for production again! Maybe back to LSD??
    Last edited by balljoint; 03-04-2017 at 11:54 AM.

He's NOT getting rid of ethanol… simply the federal mandate to require it's use. There will still be plenty of ethanol used here in the Heartland as it was before the law was passed...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

The best part is there will be no price fixing by the government. This creates direct competition with Gas. The cheapest one will drive the market.

Bummer to hear that. We will have a lot of hurting farmers around here. they are already not doing that great right now with low prices. This will only hurt them more.

Definitely improve gas mileage and make it cheaper for refiners.cheaper beef. Cheaper everything. Its a win for everyone.

And it just makes sense because we export so much fuel now. Why add ethanol before shipping? Countries have different mandates.

They are sluffing production anyway
    http://www.agweb.com/mobile/article/...us-eases-blmg/
    http://www.agweb.com/mobile/article/...ley-davenport/

Hundreds starve in Somalia...http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ught/98739642/

Ethanol loses A LOT of power, burns hotter, and doesn't store.

http://m.tristateneighbor.com/news/c...ile_touch=true

Good article. Complete with dyno results!

Farmers are hurting? Biggest welfare program there is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    Bummer to hear that. We will have a lot of hurting farmers around here. they are already not doing that great right now with low prices. This will only hurt them more.
    For the good of the greater though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    They can always turn it into some good ol corn mash liquor...legal of course
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

It already IS corn liquor but with a denaturing agent to discourage you from drinking it...
    Class of 2019

golddirt... nobody makes money with $3.50 corn... but the ethanol plants do pay more than the cash market.
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    Farmers are hurting? Biggest welfare program there is!!!
    Don't bitch about the Farmers with your mouth full.....

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    Don't bitch about the Farmers with your mouth full.....
    Full of weedkiller round ready. Chem fallow. Thanks farmers

If every ethanol plant in the country stopped production today the effect on food prices would be minimal at best. I would urge those of you who think otherwise not to bull$hit yourselves.

The governmental subsidy of ethanol production dried up several years ago for the most part. This is very small part of the reason why corn prices have plummeted by nearly 50% over the past 2 years. Without the governmental ethanol subsidy the cost of grain to produce ethanol needs to be much lower. We have several ethanol producing plants in our region and their raw materials, for the most part, are produced within 50 miles of the respective plants so the areas affected by ethanol production is relatively small.

Farmers have been one of the most subsidized segments of the economy. Whether directly or indirectly. Subsidy's were throttled back considerably with the 2015 Farm Bill passed by congress. Not saying subsidies are completely gone but they have been greatly diminished. However, the government funded crop insurance business is still a huge form of indirect subsidy but, in fairness to farmers, it's a tool used by the Department of Agriculture which can bring to bear economic pressure directly onto cash grain producers. Believe me, the DoA likes that!

In regards to pesticide use as it relates to food production I would urge you to be advised not to put the blame primarily on the farmers. In fact the government could reduce, or completely eliminate, pesticide usage but they won't..............or can't. The best way to keep people happy and in line is to make sure their bellies are full every night. We enjoy the most inexpensive and diverse food supply in the world. A big reason why is because a wide and effective variety of pesticides are available for use in the U.S. The Europeans aren't nearly as willing to let their farmers dump copious amounts of pesticides into their food chain. That is why the farming operations in Europe, and to a certain extent in Asia, as well, are so much smaller than in the U.S. It's impossible to farm 10 or 12 thousand acres and control weeds 100% mechanically. The big difference between the situation in Europe and Asia is Asia has a huge labor force with much of it motivated at the point of a gun.

I know of many farmers in our immediate area that farm over 5000 acres. The U.S. government does NOT want farming operations to go back to 1000 acres or less. The fewer farming operations the easier it is for the government to keep them in line and have them do what they want them to do. At this point the U.S. Government has more control over our food supply and those that produce it than ever before in our history so be a bit reluctant to lay blame on the farmers of our country. Know all the facts before designating culpability.

Sorry so long but this subject is one of utmost concern where we come from and where we are.

Farmers are not to blame for this. Corn based ethanol is was and will always be a bad policy. Yes it employs people. So does the NFL. Still a waste of resources. If stations just carried 93 octane gas would be wayyy cheaper, correct? My mileage and power is very noticeable in the 4 cyl kid hauler when comparing straight 91 to 10% ethanol 87.

We still export 15 million barrels per year.

Farmers will do whatever to increase yield. They don't care. Alternating chemicals helps avoid resistant superweeds, but many just use more pesticide. And now it is recommend to drench crops right before harvest to shorten drying time.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/...t-harvest.html

I know farmers too. My brother is married to a farmgirl. Seems farmers sure like cancer.

stay away from all corn, soy, canola, sugar beet, wheat biproducts

Would cause a lot of lost jobs to the farmers, manufacturers and mostly the small engine repairmen, those people that repair or rebuild all your lawnmower, weed whacker, chainsaw and other little engines that are ruined by the ethanol in their fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by balljoint View Post
    Farmers will do whatever to increase yield. They don't care. Alternating chemicals helps avoid resistant superweeds, but many just use more pesticide. And now it is recommend to drench crops right before harvest to shorten drying time.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/...t-harvest.html

I know farmers too. My brother is married to a farmgirl. Seems farmers sure like cancer.

stay away from all corn, soy, canola, sugar beet, wheat biproducts
    You make it sound as if the bulk of the blame for the use/overuses of pesticides lies with the producers. Trust me, it doesn't. I am foursquare against the use of pesticides and genetic alterations being introduced into the human food chain. But reality is this, unless an operator is setting on 3 or 4 generations of accumulated old money and a fair amount land it's essential to use all that is available and use it in quantities that are effective. Even with generations of old money and land it is nearly impossible to successfully buck the trend. The government and DoA policy is the prime reason for this being the case.

I am quite confident I am far more involved in agriculture production than you are and that involvement dates back decades. Given the circumstances placed on production agriculture since around the mid 1980's there is no viable or competitive alternative to how things are being done today. It would take way too long and way too boring for me to fully clarify all the reasons why. The bottom line is this, don't blame the producer for the over use of pesticides.

Ethanol is death to an internal combustion engine.

Just to set the record straight, ethanol is made from field corn, not sweet corn that you eat. There was approx. 100 million acres of of field corn and 1 million of sweet corn grown last year.

There are some food products made from field corn, but very little!

Field corn producers use very few pesticides as the profit margins do not warrant it.

Don't listen to the leftist media and whacko environmentalists!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    There are some food products made from field corn, but very little!

Field corn producers use very few pesticides as the profit margins do not warrant it.

Don't listen to the leftist media and whacko environmentalists!
    25, you are correct. Very little field corn is processed for direct human consumption and what you buy at the grocery store to have with your T-bone steak and tator's is, in fact, sweet corn. The restrictions on pesticide use on human consumable sweet corn are infinitely more stringent than corn grown for animal feed.

The overwhelming majority of field corn grown in the U.S. is consumed as feed by meat producing animals. Thus, although indirectly, the pesticide residue that is present in processed field corn fed to meat producing animals enters the human food chain. Probably 98% of all field corn used for animal feed is also genetically altered to allow certain pesticides to be applied without the risk of crop injury. The jury is still out as to whether these genetic plant alterations are detrimental to humans in the long term and to what degree they are detrimental.

Does anyone really believe that cancer rates in the U.S. are mere coincidences? If you do I'll make you a hell of a deal on some wetlands located in the middle of Death Valley!