Default UMP Rule 15.16 Fire Suppression

Rule says everybody has to have a thermally deployed 10lb system. Are you all hearing whether or not this will be enforced?

It better be! If someone wants to try and get away without a full containment seat, it'll really only affect them. But if you're upside down on top of me, spewing gas all over, and didn't bother to adhere to a safety rule that can affect or benefit both of us, I'd have a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    It better be! If someone wants to try and get away without a full containment seat, it'll really only affect them. But if you're upside down on top of me, spewing gas all over, and didn't bother to adhere to a safety rule that can affect or benefit both of us, I'd have a problem with that.
    The first time they wash the car without those plugs in, it will be deployed and empty anyway. LOL

In theory a auto system would be better,But I wonder in the real world would a pull system be better.Something like that happening or I was afraid after hauling it around for 2 years, would it work when it had to.

Pull system is great if the driver is conscious. But even if that's the case, the driver is likely dealing with trying to extract himself and not thinking about pulling levers. I'm a fan of having both a pull system and automatic.

speedway motors sells the cold fire system, that's some amazing stuff, the nice thing about it is you fill and recharge and you can test with just water

Eh I just didn't want to spend $700, show up at Peoria or Macon and find out we're the only one who put it on. Seems to me like the focus should have been on a requirement that UMP tracks have a minimum standard gas fire fighting rig in a pickup truck and a trained, firesuited fireman or two. Seems like the in-car system will get dirty, beat up, age and have an increasing probability of malfunction. I see in the rules steelblock lates are supposed to have it too. So then do modifieds have to have it?

Been my experience the fire suppression systems only work when the spray nozzle is directly on the fire. If there is a car on top of your car and you expect his fire suppression system to help you, you are going to have a real bad day. Fire crew that is properly trained and equipped will have far better results than any other method that rules can provide.

I hear they can't fill the demand for them this year. Enforcing it next year.?

Motorstate has 5 of the Firebottle systems in stock, they arent hard to get. If you need one let me know.

What is the good going price.

Poske's has the automatic model for around $715 and the auto/manual for just under $800. Looks like they are currently out of stock of the auto only...

https://www.poske.com/browse?category=26537

My thoughts on the enforcement aspect are once you put out a rule saying a safety item is mandatory, and someone potentially gets hurt (or could have at least been hurt less), and it's revealed that they or their competitor didn't have the required piece (in this case, fire suppression), you have a major liability issue (i.e. - lawsuit).

Are tracks going to enforce it? I doubt it. It's not their rule and it's most likely going to affect car counts. But the powers that be (World Racing Group for UMP) better make sure it's being enforced, because they have the deep pockets lawyers will be going after.

Make sure you push the issue Jet. I'm sure everyone wont have an approved fuel cell either. That is just as important. I'm sure Sam wont turn cars away. I have ran these on cars for 5 years. Easy to maintain. Mount the nozzles properly and you wont have problems. Check the gauges before each race. Catgo is right they Need to have a properly trained fire crew with extinguishing agents to put a large fuel fire out quick. If they don't have a fire crew leave. If there is not a properly trained fire crew there with a very large purple k extinguisher or a small pumper with foam leave. Because a 20lbs extinguisher doesn't have enough in it to put a large.fuel fire out even if you know how to use them properly. The on boards are to buy you time to get out and maybe keep it in check before the fire crew arrives. A bladder cell with foam is everyone's best defense from large fires. A poly type cell is a joke.