Thread: Header coatings

Default Header coatings

I was wondering where the best place quality vs. price to get a set of headers coated? Anyone have any done recently and would like to share your experience? Thanks Folks

Just buy stainless

most coaters only concentrate on the outside because it takes more effort to do the inside
    the inside is what is important
    we have worked with numerous coaters over the years and there is 2 problems with them
    1 (as stated) they only do the outside
    2 they are NEVER on time ---kinda like engine builders --LOL

but in reality if you buy stainless-- it really is cheaper and better in the end

Brad
    www.race-1.com

The cheapest is from speedway motors called Black Satin.You need a small touchup style spray gun.They recommend sandblasting ,but I take a red scotchbrite pad and sand the header.It doesn't last the life time of the header but you can do it 7 or 8 times from one can.

i buy my coatings from techlinecoating.com . i only coat new headers , i cap the port side off and pour it in the collector and swish it around then dump it out and spray the outside with a detail paint gun. after it air drys for a while i put it in a 350deg oven for an hour or so. if you dont have a oven big enough, you can bolt them on engine and fire it up and cure it that way, but be sure to do it outside.

good tip from fastford

keep in mind the inside is what counts

Brad
    www.race-1.com

We get ours' done by a small local shop near me, ceramic on outside only for just over a $100. I agree the inside is important but our main objective was to get away from the header wrap that takes a terrible beating and doesn't hold up at all, not to mention being a pain to constantly redo. Works great for our purpose and no more fighting burned plug wires.

Cleaning the rust from used headers can be accomplished easily using a barrel of a 6-1 mix of water and molasses... I buy a 50lb bag of dry molasses for about $18 at my local farm store. Mix the molasses into the water and let the parts soak... be patient!

Figure a week or more at normal temps... longer if cold. Rinse with water... spray them after they dry or you will have to redo them since they will flash rust.

Molasses is non-toxic... I use one barrel all summer to clean my old car parts then dump it out before the freeze...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

good tip Krooser , ive never herd of this , but will give it a shot. I use muratic acid like you get at home depot to clean concrete , it works fast but is toxic. I do a lot of half block fills on stock type blocks to strengthen the mains and this might work better.

Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019