Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Agreed, great article.

didn't even read the article.. don't really have to because you can tell Ben is in on the sport and really enjoys it...

The bottom line .... is he making as much or more now that he would be in whatever engineering career he had ?? Because if not his ex boss is still laughing ...

I'm sure they're comfortable and happy. You seem to have missed the entire point of the article. Reading comprehension is not for everyone I suppose.

Spoiler alert, not everyone's happiness is tied to making the absolute maximum amonunt possible.
    Last edited by B_K; 03-14-2017 at 05:50 AM.

Spoiler alert .... the purpose of working is to make money. If your working and not making money it's a hobby not a job. Walk into you local PNC branch and tell the girl at the counter how fun your job is and see what she gives you for that. Tell the mortgage company yeah I don't have the money to pay you but I love my job !!!!

You should always work for something more than just the money. We work to feel a sense of purpose, or to contribute positively to something, if even just a belief. Have you ever volunteered your services? Or helped someone for free? From what I understand of your business Huck (deck builder/construction), I would hope you take a great deal of pride in your work. I would also bet you have not made as much (percentage wise) on one job as you have on others, simply because you took the time or made the effort to go above and beyond, if nothing else because your name is on the product you provide.

I found the timing of this article all too coincidental as I myself am soon leaving the job/profession I have had for the past 9+ years, which is the longest I've ever worked at one place. I also make more money than I have ever made, by far, and most likely will ever make again in my life. But I now know first hand that money does not buy happiness. And this is with no plans for the immediate future, but I am going to take some time for myself and my family and go from there. And I'm not worried one bit, because I have faith and confidence in myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    You should always work for something more than just the money. We work to feel a sense of purpose, or to contribute positively to something, if even just a belief. Have you ever volunteered your services? Or helped someone for free? From what I understand of your business Huck (deck builder/construction), I would hope you take a great deal of pride in your work. I would also bet you have not made as much (percentage wise) on one job as you have on others, simply because you took the time or made the effort to go above and beyond, if nothing else because your name is on the product you provide.

I found the timing of this article all too coincidental as I myself am soon leaving the job/profession I have had for the past 9+ years, which is the longest I've ever worked at one place. I also make more money than I have ever made, by far, and most likely will ever make again in my life. But I now know first hand that money does not buy happiness. And this is with no plans for the immediate future, but I am going to take some time for myself and my family and go from there. And I'm not worried one bit, because I have faith and confidence in myself.
    Very well said. Yeah you work to make money, but you're right. You have to have some satisfaction and pride in your job and get a long with your co workers.

But the whole point of the article as you said has nothing to do with money. It was following a dream. And depending on your home life, you can take more chances. With a wife and two kids, there's less chances you can take. But at times we gotta leap.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    Spoiler alert .... the purpose of working is to make money. If your working and not making money it's a hobby not a job. Walk into you local PNC branch and tell the girl at the counter how fun your job is and see what she gives you for that. Tell the mortgage company yeah I don't have the money to pay you but I love my job !!!!
    Maybe he should have written it in crayon or at the bottom of a consy lineup so you could grasp it. Yes you work to make money. He never said he works as a volunteer. It's like this, hypothetically let's say you build decks for a living. One job is building an addition to the deck of the playboy mansion where the girls lay out topless. The other is building one for John Travolta, and you have to give him a massage everyday. Option one pays 10% less. Ben chooses that one and you get to go home limping a little after picking option 2 because it pays more. Everybody is happy right?
    Last edited by B_K; 03-14-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B_K View Post
    Maybe he should have written it in crayon or at the bottom of a consy lineup so you could grasp it. Yes you work to make money. He never said he works as a volunteer. It's like this, hypothetically let's say you build decks for a living. One job is building an addition to the deck of the playboy mansion where the girls lay out topless. The other is building one for John Travolta, and you have to give him a massage everyday. Option one pays 10% less. Ben chooses that one and you get to go home limping a little after picking option 2. Everybody is happy right?

Im picking option 1 he!! I'll do it for 15% less. Lol
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

A great deal of talent is lost to the world for want of a little courage. Every day sends to their graves obscure men whose timidity prevented them from making a first effort. -Sydney Smith

I enjoyed the article. Ben plain and simply made a opinion on his behalf. The times I have talked to Ben were some of the best time speaking to someone!!!! I enjoy his announcing and interviews with drivers and FANS. Step up to him and you will have a very civil conversation. Try it!!!! Very nice guy to be around.

Right on Ben Shelton!

I'm not a homer, but how the heck can anybody not like Ben?

Did I miss something?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

he's always been to busy for rose and I, but we will keep trying to have a conversation with him. i'm sure he is a nice guy to speak to.
    jackie boggs....the last true outlaw
    anyone but lanigan
    Swartz - we don't build race cars fast, we build fast race cars

Quote Originally Posted by B_K View Post
    Maybe he should have written it in crayon or at the bottom of a consy lineup so you could grasp it.
    Bravo! Too funny