Default Weather related calls are tough for promoters

http://insidedirtracing.com/turn-2-b...for-promoters/

These are tough calls that I'm glad I don't haver to make because there is no right answer

I dont understand how the Lucus races start in early march around here .... It either rans in the spring .... I guess were gonna find out this week ...
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

If you schedule late winter / early spring better have a make up date in your pocket... If forecast calls for freezing temps and possibilities of snow in 7 day forecast be prepared to goto your make up date... Calling it in advance is the key... It's not rocket science!!!

I'll agree wiith wfofan, From November-March it is a tossup whether you'll get bearable weather or miserable conditions. A lot of times if you try to call a race more than a day in advance your weather always ends up changing and you have egg on your face as a promoter. When I worked as a track announcer we tried to make a call on the day of the race by 10am with the pit gates opening at 4. I understand multi-day shows its a different case though, you're needing to sell multi-day pit passes to help pay the purse, employees, salaries, etc.

I sympathize with the promoter, because as a race track you only have a set amount of weekends/race days to hold events to make your facility make money or even just break even. Down the calender you know you'll lose at least 2-4 races due to rain in the summer so you have to TRY to take advantage of any opportunity to race.

I will say, I've never had more heartburn/stress than trying to make a weather call. My hats off to those who try to make the best decision in an inexact science. Wish they held weathermen to the same impossible standards they hold track promoters too! Lol.
    Tyler Williams, Announcer for the Southeast Dirt Modified Series, co-host of The Half Priced Concessions Podcast - available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, YouTube and on www.anchor.fm/HPCpodcast

Be glad you dont live in NY 2 foot of snow on the way, have a friend there said he got 2 weeks of food in ..Said town stops with a foot of snow 2 foot will kill people...

Default not too tough

Returning to Dirt:

I am not sure why the Smoky Mountain decision was tough at all. The forecast did not change from 7 days out. Florence had no problem deciding, The Pelican had no problem deciding. This Smoky Mountain decision still looks a little fishy! They don't call it off, they get 23 super late models, small crowd in stands Friday night, move the start time up on Saturday, then canx on Saturday? JMO