Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Billy Moyer

Quote Originally Posted by LeafMaster41 View Post
    How about you define "Cherry Picking" for us?
    Quite simply, it is a driver of a certain caliber having an option of participating in 2 or more shows. Those shows are within similar distances.

That driver, chooses to participate at the show that is considered to be of lesser competition.

There's nothing wrong with cherry picking. It's a sound financial decision on occasion. It's a compliment, really.

As you can see, my definition had nothing to do with rules or being ready to race. If you agree with my definition, then by default, you agree cherry picking exists.

If you do not agree with my definition, then I'd be interested in hearing your definition of something you believe is non existent......

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    So you a hater or a fan?
    Go through all my history post, you find out which one I am lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    Go through all my history post, you find out which one I am lol.

I dont have that much time on my hands!
    I was just wondering if you were on top or underneath. Thats all. Lol
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by COKEandaSMILE View Post
    Quite simply, it is a driver of a certain caliber having an option of participating in 2 or more shows. Those shows are within similar distances.

That driver, chooses to participate at the show that is considered to be of lesser competition.

There's nothing wrong with cherry picking. It's a sound financial decision on occasion. It's a compliment, really.

As you can see, my definition had nothing to do with rules or being ready to race. If you agree with my definition, then by default, you agree cherry picking exists.

If you do not agree with my definition, then I'd be interested in hearing your definition of something you believe is non existent......
    Cherry Picking exists only as a term of insult. It's meant to say that a racer essentially went and raced against a bunch of nobody's and stole their money, ie. "stealing candy from a baby". Your definition is merely the wise and responsible way of racing for a living when you're paying the bills.

For Billy(Batesville, AR) most of the time the distance to stiffer competition and higher purses was far greater than running the lesser paying events typical of the midwest. Most big paying super late model events are in the East and Southeast, with a few notable exceptions(Eldora, Lucas Oil) and Billy usually attends those.

I have a feeling he is going to be ready to go and just fine in a few weeks when Lucas rolls into Batesville for 20k.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he wins 1 or 2 of those WOO races next weekend. He is usually good at Whynot and has a ton of laps around I-30 being close to home. We'll see!

If you agree with my definition, by default, you agree cherry picking exists.

Spin it however you wish, belittle other drivers, label it with a term that you prefer. None of that changes the fact.

I doubt any driver is insulted by being called a cherry picker. Fans of that driver, as proven here, do get their feelings hurt, however.

A flip side of cherry picking that we haven't discussed is when it goes wrong, which happens a lot. It can be tough to outrun a local here or there, and that isn't a good feeling when you run 10th in a local 3-5k and get paid $300. Not a good ego stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    A flip side of cherry picking that we haven't discussed is when it goes wrong, which happens a lot. It can be tough to outrun a local here or there, and that isn't a good feeling when you run 10th in a local 3-5k and get paid $300. Not a good ego stroke.
    That's where the "just testing" excuse comes into play.

If your hauler and car cost more than 80% of the fields combined.I 've raced against cars that even if they win they are loosing money.That is cheery picking

I'd venture to guess probably 95% of teams running SLM's are losing money even if they win once a month. That number may be low.

Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    You mean snort the tire juicer.
    Do you ever say anything remotely positive? You've got to be a women, should take another Midol.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by rickybrown1952 View Post
    Cherry picking I don't think so myself I would probably put him at #1 in dirt late model racing a lot more wins than that other guy hmmm what is his name?
    I'd put the two you mentioned neck and neck. Wouldn't put down one over the other. Both have more than paid there dues and should be respected for that.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Default Billy Moyer

Number one, he is not Jr or Sr, he is Billy Moyer.

Second, why try and put him down? He is a HoF, and one of the best ever. At his level, there's very few you can put in his category. Just respect him, and unless you're paying his bills, he can run wherever he dam well pleases. He has traveled the country for a long dam time. If he wants to race close to home, he has earned it ten times over. Dunno why those on here put down Moyer or Bloomer, well besides ignorance.

I highly doubt that Billy Moyer cares if folks think he's a "cherry picker".
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by LeafMaster41 View Post

For Billy(Batesville, AR) most of the time the distance to stiffer competition and higher purses was far greater than running the lesser paying events typical of the midwest. Most big paying super late model events are in the East and Southeast, with a few notable exceptions(Eldora, Lucas Oil) and Billy usually attends those.
    Really? Purses are higher in the east and south? With a few exceptions like the North South and a handful of specials that pay more than 5k. On a average I can go to 3 10k races a month and never go east of Ohio or south of Illinois, once the season gets rolling. I and a lot of race fans from the Midwest know why so many racers in Iowa, Missouri and Illinois never travel far. I love Cherry picking. These local guys need the competition. They get stuck in a rutt, just cherry picking. Billy Moyer very rarely runs his car for less than 5k. Bobby Pierce will run a few races under 5k, but just to lock the UMP points title. Babb is usually a 5k and up racer, as most of the well known Iowa, MO. and IL. drivers

Zach51, I have a question, not trying to be funny, but if 95% of latemodel teams are losing money racing, how can they race for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Zach51, I have a question, not trying to be funny, but if 95% of latemodel teams are losing money racing, how can they race for a living?
    Some drivers and a few select crew here or there may be making money but that doesn't mean the team as a whole is.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    The drivers who don't own the stuff are making money. Most everyone else is not.