For Immediate Release
March 14, 2017

Rodney Sanders Snags SOS Checkers with USMTS

Happy, Texas (03/14/17) – Rodney Sanders parked his Wichita Tank Racing #20 Swan Energy/ MB Customs/ Hatfield Racing Engine Modified in Victory Lane with the United States Modified Touring Series on Saturday night. He scored $4,000 for his winning effort.

Back with the United States Modified Touring Series (USMTS) on Thursday evening, Rodney Sanders was one of 42 Open Wheel Modifieds signed in at Southern Oklahoma Speedway (Ardmore, Oklahoma) for the opening round of the 5th annual Sooner Showdown presented by Production Jars. Scoring a 2nd-place finish in his heat behind Ricky Thornton Jr., Sanders earned the 3rd-starting position for the opening night feature. Holding his position on a track that saw very limited passing, Rodney notched a 3rd-place finish behind Thornton Jr. and Ryan Gustin with Johnny Scott and Chris Brown rounding out the Top 5.

On Friday, coming from the 7th-starting position in his heat race, Sanders scored a runner-up finish behind Ricky Thornton Jr. Earning the 3rd-starting position for the A-Main, Rodney was running in 2nd until suffering at flat tire on lap 29. Rejoining the field from the tail after swapping out his tire, Sanders battled back to an 18th-place finish on a one-lane track.

For the final night of the Sooner Showdown on Saturday, Sanders passed four cars in his heat race to place 2nd behind R.C. Whitwell. Rolling off from the pole after the redraw, Rodney took control of the lead on the very first lap and never looked back. Leading all 50 circuits, Rodney Sanders battled a hard-charging Dereck Ramirez in lapped traffic just past the midway point before picking up his second victory of the season and a $4,000 payday. Ramirez, Chris Brown, Zack VanderBeek, and Jason Hughes followed Sanders across the finish line.

“It was a little dicey there in traffic late in the race, but luckily I was able to keep the lead,” said Sanders. “We had a really good car the whole weekend, but it took me until the final night to put it altogether. I would like to thank my team, my sponsors, and my fans for their great support.”

For full results from these events, please visit www.USMTS.com .

This weekend, March 17-19, Rodney will pull double duty during the inaugural Short Track Shootout at Southern New Mexico Speedway (Las Cruces, New Mexico). The tripleheader for Super Late Models and Modifieds was postponed from its original date in January, after Mother Nature intervened. For more information on the big weekend, please visit www.SNMSpeedway.com .

Rodney Sanders would like to thank all of his sponsors including Wichita Tank Racing, Swan Energy, Kimrad Transport, DriveWFX.com, S&S Fishing and Rental, Krohn Farms, STSI, Mars Race Cars, MB Customs, KBC Graphics, Bergman Tax and Accounting, Hatifeld Race Engines, Deatherage Opticians, VP Race Fuels, C&R Incorporated, Beyea Headers, CMD Race Shocks, Keyser Manufacturing, Integra Race Shocks, Eibach, Wilwood Brakes, Palmer Painting, D&G Contracting, Driven Oil, 87 Automotive, FK Rod Ends, Allstar Performance, Fikes Transmission, QA1 Driveshafts, Performance Bodies, Day Motorsports, and MSRMafia.com Marketing Services.

For more information on Rodney Sanders, please visit www.RodneySandersRacing.net .