Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ed was one of the nicest guys I've ever met around the track. The year he ran SAS with us was one of the funnest seasons I have ever had.

Y'all can't recognize a joke unless I put "LOL" after it? Allright, for clarity's sake, here's another one. LOL

I've seen Hot Rod's name in the rundown at some crate races not too far back,seems like at Lavonia.His number 8 is classic.

Yes Hot Rod is still running strong these days. He mostly runs Crate at Lavonia, Toccoa, and Hartwell. Been driving for a local car owner by the name of Tim King for the past several years. Red and Yellow car. Tim has a huge farm with several chicken houses and other crops. Heard he took a hit and lost a lot of money due to the drought in the area and wasn't going to be able to field a car this year. That could just be hearsay. Last I heard they were running a longhorn.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by macro646 View Post
    He retired the first part of 2010. He had to have to some neck surgery, so it was time to call it quits. I sure do miss those days.
    and that's the rest of the story... Hope he is doing well following his surgery. There was a guy at Talledega Short track that ran a matching white/blue Walter Newman just like Ed's, sponsored by Curbow Logging #18 I think, he was pretty good too from what I remember, but his name is escaping me.

As to Hotrod, I don't know if Tim's fielding a car this year or not, they've had several cars since they teamed up, BWRC, TNT and Longhorn. I use to work on Tim's car back when he was teamed with Nick Manley driving Rayburn's & Yellow Jacket's. Larry Moore drove the car one night at Lavonia, that was neat.

"You're absolutely right. You knew it was gonna be a race when Basey, Hot Rod Lamance, Duvall, Buck Simmons, Bill Morgan, Ernest Steifle and Jack Pennington showed up. Throw in CL Pritchett and Tim Headen and we might just blow the top off the joint. "

That was a typical Saturday night field at Gaffney back in the 90s. Great memories.

Edward drove for Bill Newby for a lot of years. Bill raced sometimes int he 95 car while Edward drove the 4 car.