Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do race promoters have anything to fear from streaming video?

http://insidedirtracing.com/do-race-...reaming-video/

A growing trend of late has been that of fans videoing races from the grandstands. Some fear that this practice is causing some fans to stay home and watch. Is it?

I think its a double edged sword. Where some casual fans will stay home and hope for a fb live feed, A diehard race fan will likely go to the track anyway because we like being there ,and most of us understand how important the cash is to tracks. Then on the flip side, if someone is there giving a live feed and the racing is good it could appeal to new fans and/or entice the casual fan.

I'm right there with Chris. Real fans (assuming that they can afford it and aren't going through impossible monetary times) don't mind paying for a quality feed. Any of the facebook live stuff I've ever clicked on is so bad I can't sit there and watch it. I'd rather pay for a good feed and support whoever puts the event on so that they will keep doing in the future.

I get annoyed when people claim that they can't afford the PPV. In some cases, they may be serious, but in most cases they are just too cheap to do it. There is a difference in "can't afford" and "don't want to afford". There still has to be value there. I've passed on many of them before because I thought it was overpriced for what you'll get. Not because I couldn't afford it, but because I didn't think there was value there.

Yes. If their track provides a horrible product folks might see that and never come.

This subject has come up here a couple of times in the past. The practice of spectators broadcasting dirt racing live has become quite commonplace. There are very few, if any, dirt racing events that aren't either partially or entirely streamed live by someone in attendance. Even those that are being commercially broadcast on internet PPV or even cable TV are available on Facebook Live or Periscope. I don't know how kindly the producers of the PPV and commercial TV and the race promoters are taking this but it happens all the time.

I am personal friends with several people that watch pirated racing broadcasts in lieu of actually attending, and it becomes more frequent as time goes by. How much this practice is hurting race promoters is somewhat tough to judge but I have proof they have lost at least some revenue as a result. This past season I know of at least 5 different events that one fan in particular didn't attend because he knew there would be someone broadcasting at least parts of the racing program.

It definitely does, even a few tickets makes a big difference to some tracks. Another thing I've noticed that I am fully against is during Volusia I saw someone live streaming the actual DoD broadcast on one of the DLM Classifieds sites. That is beyond ridiculous, and I was disappointed that so many people were watching it, and that the admins from the classified site didn't shut it down.

During the Chili Bowl some guy had mounted his phone in his living room and was streaming facebook live the racin boys broadcast off of his tv. That ticked me off. Not the fact that I had already paid my $25 for the show, but the fact that people do that, knowing full and well that is the same as stealing. And then bragging about it! RacinBoys threw the guy under the bus via social media, which they very well should have.

I addressed the piracy of PPV at the bottom of the article. To me, that does much more harm than poor quality video shot from the stands.

Thumbs down Boo! To the thieves and Cheaters.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    During the Chili Bowl some guy had mounted his phone in his living room and was streaming facebook live the racin boys broadcast off of his tv. That ticked me off. Not the fact that I had already paid my $25 for the show, but the fact that people do that, knowing full and well that is the same as stealing. And then bragging about it! RacinBoys threw the guy under the bus via social media, which they very well should have.
    It's the same type people who buy bootleg DVD's and cheat up their cars. They have a desire to feel like they are getting away with something, that they pulled one over on everyone. Your right though it is theft and I hope they get punished severely.

Theft is theft whether it's out and out pirating or if it's so called "poor quality video". The proliferation of the unauthorized broadcasts are not universally of poor quality. I can site several occasions this past season where friends have commented as to how remarkably good the quality was. One such event was The Hulman Classic at Terre Haute last May. Another was Turkey Night Grand Prix on Thanksgiving Night out at Ventura. I had a friend watch the A-mains at several of the UMP Summer Nationals events on Periscope and bragged about the money he saved by not attending in person.

In the case of Turkey Night it was the mother of one of the drivers contending for the win that was broadcasting the racing on Facebook Live and I was told by a credible source that the quality was very good. That event was offered for purchase on internet PPV. I wonder if the outfit selling the broadcast ever got wind of the alternative broadcast.

Don't kid yourself, this stuff is in fact hurting race promoters and I can site specific cases where I know it has.
    Last edited by CIRF; 03-16-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Theft is theft whether it's out and out pirating or if it's so called "poor quality video". The proliferation of the unauthorized broadcasts are not universally of poor quality. I can site several occasions this past season where friends have commented as to how remarkably good the quality was. One such event was The Hulman Classic at Terre Haute last May. Another was Turkey Night Grand Prix on Thanksgiving Night out at Ventura. I had a friend watch the A-mains at several of the UMP Summer Nationals events on Periscope and bragged about the money he saved by not attending in person.

In the case of Turkey Night it was the mother of one of the drivers contending for the win that was broadcasting the racing on Facebook Live and I was told by a credible source that the quality was very good. That event was offered for purchase on internet PPV. I wonder if the outfit selling the broadcast ever got wind of the alternative broadcast.

Don't kid yourself, this stuff is in fact hurting race promoters and I can site specific cases where I know it has.
    In a lot of cases, folks watching for free would not pay to watch. In that case, it isn't lost revenue. They may be impressed enough to watch in person in the future.

I agree mastersbilt I call bs on it causing people to stay home if you are a real race fan planning to attend you will and if they say they stayed home to watch they were not gonna attend in the first place so I dont believe ii costs the track money...I am all for it cause fans who arent fortunate enough for whatever reason can watch and if the event is good could inspire them to attend the next race...and the great exposure our beloved sport gets to friends of friends...

I think the tracks should be happy I think they gain more than they lose in the long run....its advertisement
    Last edited by Illtsate32; 03-16-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Until they find a way to pump burned racing fuel smell thru the feed I'll be in attendance
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    In a lot of cases, folks watching for free would not pay to watch. In that case, it isn't lost revenue. They may be impressed enough to watch in person in the future.
    Not the guys I'm referring to MasterSbilt_Racer. They're all dirt racing fans that actually have been involved with dirt racing teams in the past or have been fans for decades. Your point about not paying to watch may have merit but I know for a fact that in several instances this past season a couple of these guys may have actually attended if it not for knowing that they could probably see it on Periscope, etc.

One friend in particular has his phone set up to watch on his 60" TV just for the live racing available for free.

I've never been a fan of the PPV's personally. Only time I can see it being an option is if it's a race that's far away such as the world 100 or the big one up at I-80 speedway. Nothing beats being actually at the track with the roar of the engines and live streaming never does justice to how fast the cars look in person.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Not the guys I'm referring to MasterSbilt_Racer. They're all dirt racing fans that actually have been involved with dirt racing teams in the past or have been fans for decades. Your point about not paying to watch may have merit but I know for a fact that in several instances this past season a couple of these guys may have actually attended if it not for knowing that they could probably see it on Periscope, etc.

One friend in particular has his phone set up to watch on his 60" TV just for the live racing available for free.
    I hope/think those half a$sed fans are the minority. Perhaps they suffer burnout?

Some of my promoter friends disagree but to me it's free advertising. If you have a good product you may see a few new fans... At least they may tell their friends.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I watched the gateway race, free from some guys feed. I had no intention of watching or going, but I actually liked it!!! So I am going to try and go this year. If you have a good product and someone sees it , free or by paying, they will only gain from the exposure!

I think the saying goes......any publicity.....is GOOD publicity!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!