Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I hope/think those half a$sed fans are the minority. Perhaps they suffer burnout?
    Although I agree with you they're unquestionably not half assed fans. I've been attending races with 2 of them for 20 years. They still attend races of all persuasions from Daytona and Indy to Fairbury, La Salle and Eldora.

I do, however, believe at this point the number of people who are engaged in the Facebook Live and Periscope culture are relatively few.

Frankly I am somewhat surprised that there hasn't been an effort made by track owners and promoters to put a stop to what's going on. If in my little world I know of 2 or 3 who forego attending events for watching it for free I'm sure these guys aren't isolated cases and there are more all over the country. Even if it's only one the promoter/promoters are losing money.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Yes. If their track provides a horrible product folks might see that and never come.
    My thoughts exactly . If I've never been to a track and see a video of good racing Im going to go check the place out.

it's very hard for tracks and promoters to have it both ways. I mean they push, push, push, social media in all sports.
    They want fans posting pictures on Instagram and Twitter. They want the buzz that people hashtagging and liking and following them bring, but then don't like it when people take it further and put video up??
    You could do like some music acts and try to ban taking video, but then you'd lose all your WANTED social media exposure, since not many, if any people are bringing actual video cameras. Smart Phones have truly created a dilemma in this regard.

For me personally, I attend races in about a 50 mile radius for the most part, and for the rest, I either watch the Lucas Oil TV broadcast, or just get the results later.

I'll post the same thing I always do when this comes up:

Has anyone ever actually tried to watch a race on Facebook live? They are total crap.

I know people who subscribe to DOD that havent been to the races in several years they just watch the videos the next day. I think DOD is more threat to promoters than anything pertaining to attendance in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by smoothoperator32 View Post
    I know people who subscribe to DOD that havent been to the races in several years they just watch the videos the next day. I think DOD is more threat to promoters than anything pertaining to attendance in my opinion
    I would agree if DOD didn't pay the track to put on the PPV. The next day highlights are just news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    I would agree if DOD didn't pay the track to put on the PPV. The next day highlights are just news.
    So your saying every video on DOD is from ppv. I dont think so

I would much rather be at the race however it's next to impossible for me to get the time off to go so PPV it is

crap not this again

this debate was 60 years ago and approved that more eyes on a sport are good for business. People debated TV would kill baseball, just the opposite. Promotion is just as important as ticket sales to "umm gee let me guess" a PROMOTER. If you think DOD is hurting the sports prove it finically where promoters are actually losing money, not some dumb story "I know so and so who don't go to races now."

the people that are watching a stupid crappy facebook live video weren't going to the race anyway.

There's no way to compare the true effects of the Facebook Live webcasts, but it is good publicity. All the major sports want to get their games on free TV, and dirt racing should welcome all exposure.

I would never ever stay home from a race because somebody was going to post it live through their phone. There's nothing that compares to the smell and sounds of being at the track. Plus I've never seen one of these videos that was worth a crap. I do purchase ppv events but only of races that I wouldn't be going to anyway. Even professionally done videos for tv aren't that exciting to me. I've got a whole dvr of stuff I've recorded and haven't watched yet just because I get bored before I can get to the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothoperator32 View Post
    So your saying every video on DOD is from ppv. I dont think so
    That is not what I am saying. It is my understanding, DOD pays for PPV that they show in real time. The other clips are not real time and classified as news. We see highlights of our favorite basketball team, and think nothing of it. What ever we say it is, the promoters should be pleased as punch. The object of advertising is to make you business title a part of everyday language across the country. Do you want them looking for some track out east, or VMS.

Look what good advertisement did for FALLs. FALLs always had good racing, but the U Tube races, made it a track that is in every fans vocabulary. Knoxville knew how important advertising was. For many years, they paid to show their own product on TV.