Question Limited Late Model HP question

What's the average power output and cost of a good all steel, flat top limited late engine going for these days? Like what you'd see on the SELMSS(Southeastern Late Model Sportsman Series) in GA. Just curious as I'm not especially fond of crates or CT525's. Anyone running an LS based non-CT525 limited engine? I know the UMSS(traditional sprints) are allowing the LS 5.3 w/factory coil packs and an MSD controller to be run with them and it's competitive and economical too.

550-600 hp, $20-25k
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    550-600 hp, $20-25k
    Thanks for the reply and info, a25rjr.

690-710 if you are running a steel one to meet series rules. Very expensive new but pretty cheap used.

Your not going to see 690-710hp out of a convenital 23* head flattop piston 360ci engine even if you give $25,000. More like the one dude said 550 maybe 580 on a good one.

I ran steel blocks in ky for years and the best all steel motor I had was a 436 pro action heads, 210 and 165 valves, scat rotating assembly and heads that flowed 310 at 700 lift. It went 639. The 362 I had which was the same everything just different bore and rotating assembly made 514. 10k put that motor together and that was using a 10051184 gm bow tie racing block. We won with both.

you can spend what ever you want on what ever type engine you want, dont mean your gone win a race though. i witnessed a fellow a few years back win several races in a row in the dead of summer with a flat top 350 with vortec heads against several 15000 dollar engines , i believe he had less than 4 grand in whole engine.

Our limiteds here in the South, usually are 360ci max, with a 23* spec head of various brands.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Thanks. All the intel and experience is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    you can spend what ever you want on what ever type engine you want, dont mean your gone win a race though. i witnessed a fellow a few years back win several races in a row in the dead of summer with a flat top 350 with vortec heads against several 15000 dollar engines , i believe he had less than 4 grand in whole engine.
    These are good points. Engine power isn't everything but it sure helps. Track and shape make a big difference I think.

Always some exceptions to every rule.

Local cat always known for big power and works at a machine shop. Wins almost all the races till he goes to special shows then he's mid pack. Why? Mostly over powered I think against more competition. The local tracks is hooked up hammer down and the other is stupid dry slick but 1/2 mile and very high banks.

Mullins is known to be overpriced....The same 10k gets you far less (maybe nothing!) than a local builder who enjoys the challenge more than the money.