Default New Vs Older Lighting Chassis

I am looking to purchase a modified this year and want to know what the advantages are of buying a newer chassis year compared to an 04 or 05 older chassis. The chassis Im looking at right now is a 04 lighting chassis. Any help would great be appreciated. Thanks

Is it a round tube underrail car, or a square tube over rail?
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

square tube

That was originally built as a swing arm car. J bar mount is outside the link bars. We're cars now are built with the panhard bar chassis mount inside the link bar.(closer to center of chassi). Those were typically ran with a 17" straight panhard bar. If you were to switch to a j bar it would be way too long.
    Does it have metric a arms on it, or nova lower a arms?

I have a 2006 round tube under rail and a 2009 round tube over rail and love both of them. Came right out of box last year after taking them down to bare frame and checking everything to finish around 5th every week just using Lightnings setups exactly. Was into third and on the way to leaders last Saturday night in the 06 car when a caution came out and had to go back to 4th. burnt tires up trying to get back around the 3rd place guy on dry slick track at Volusia.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by daytonagary; 03-20-2017 at 06:56 PM.

New cars (of all makes) are built lighter and typically faster to keep up with the trend of run it a season and sell it to some inexperienced fellow because it won a few races (That one always makes me chuckle because "its a winner" lmao). If you are just getting started Lightning of any year that's straight would be a good choice as Heavy D and JAD have a lot of good tech to get you in the Ballpark . Older cars (of all makes) are typically built heavier , take more abuse and hold setups better so you can learn what you are doing . Now if your pocket is deep and full by all means get new , but your learning curve may be pricey . Just my experience (which has been pricey) very F@#$ing pricey !
    The Blacksheep cometh ! With old bent sh!t that just keeps getting faster !

I agree with 1Blacksheep. That car was built more ridged, which is a double edge sword. When I had HeavyDuty build my current car , I took several design features if those cars. I.e. Wheelbase, and the more ridgidity. I am letting the suspension due More work vs the chassis flexing. The sweet spot is a little narrower, but once you find it, you don't have to mess with much.
    I still have not felt better forward traction than my 04 swing arm car.
    You could probably have lightning update the front suspension to the new Ford stuff. That would help quite a bit with several things
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 03-20-2017 at 09:55 PM.

hey joey was that the car al glick bought from you???

No that was a 2001 car. That was a darn good car too. Very similar in design. Rear cage hoop was wider on the 2004. Also the 2004 had the nova lower control arms. The 2002 Al bought was all metric components