Thread: Half leaf

Default Half leaf

Wondering if anyone in the past had any experience with a half leaf rear suspension. J bar lengths, mounting points, maybe raising the mounring points on frame for leafs, do's and don'ts so forth. Was going to take leaf car i had years ago to have fun with, just been thinking about this. Any help would be appreciated

Half leafs, wanted to specify

We had one half leaf, one full leaf, one coil over and a Reese bar on my jig-a-low in the early 80's... I don't think j-bars had been invented then...😂
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

and I bet it was bad fast and very easy to drive. just like mine was. didn't matter if tacky or dry slick. just keep the left rear leaf spring re arched every few races.

Run both sides half leaf, make a mount that clamps a shock bracket about 6-7" out from center of axle forward on top of half leaf-kinda looks like a swing arm, long j-bar have to have some kind of pivot bushings in front eye of leaf- more angle in lr more drive tightens car -less on rr tightens car old school fun

In the early.80s I remember the first tri City Buggy cars we did with half leaf rs full leaf left.With coil over RR.Cars were super tight with loads of drive eventually they went to 3 link with Reese bar.

When you say Long j bar are you talking 20-21". I read somewhere that someone recommended panhard bar mounted on back of rear, has anyone tried this. I have a quick change not sure how to mount. I have pivot bushings to put in front to free up and have front half of a Afco traction stack (multi leaf) for LR was going to try. Do have a 7" shock mount that clamps on tube out front for leverage. Would you mount j bar same heights as 4 bar or higher on frame since i want have has much hike. Thanks for input so far.

I tried a long bar behind on some modifieds.It bent the rear clip on both cars.You would have to add a lot of bracing to make it work.I put all the mounts to put a Rayburn style bar on my car.Never used them,the time it takes to R&D stuff like that and you have to have a certain kind of driver, makes it not worth the time and money.

Thumbs up BushWhackers Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    We had one half leaf, one full leaf, one coil over and a Reese bar on my jig-a-low in the early 80's... I don't think j-bars had been invented then...
    You had a Jig-A-Lo, that's awesome I use to love those cars. I try and get down to EAMS at least once a year.

As to the "Half Leaf" question its been probably 10 years since I saw one and it was a Walter Newman and it had the fiberglass Flex-A-Form torque arm. Car held the track record at Toccoa speedway in super late model for a long time. You might try calling Walter about all the particulars.

https://www.facebook.com/Walter-Newm...6082813464965/

Walter Newman Race Cars
    2106 Stevens Rd
    Augusta, GA 30906

(706) 830-2049

21" J Bar with lots of angle I did like the behind the rear panhard bar better as the leafs don't give much side to side like a heimed bar,

How did you mount panhard bar on back of quick change

I didn't when I ran it on a quick change I ran a long rayburn style panhard bar on front side mounted to frame on right side like old swing arm cars did. on mods and limited cars all had 9" fords so I ran behind on those. sorry for the confusion been a while.

I sold the Jig-a-low in '83 after I got into race promoting. The guy who bought it put a Camaro stub on the car and kinda ruined it IMHO....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I sold the Jig-a-low in '83 after I got into race promoting. The guy who bought it put a Camaro stub on the car and kinda ruined it IMHO....
    I agree, same thing happened to my 95' BWRC leaf car. It was pristine and some guy butchered it...
    Long Live Leaf Cars.