Default Southern Nationals Bonus Series ?

This is probably a dumb question, but what is the "Bonus" in the Southern Nationals Bonus Series? Do they just call it that because it is races outside of the regular Southern Nationals Series? Is there any type of "Bonus" involved if a driver does a certain thing? Or is it simply just a name. This isn't a series that is in my part of the world so I haven't really kept up with it much. Just curious.

Thanks!

Not 100% sure of this, but I think it was called the bonus series to show it's under the umbrella of the Southern Nationals, but a totally different series. I think they offer some kind of a bonus if a driver can win 2 of 3 (Spring Nationals, Bonus Series, and Southern Nationals). I'm with you, another name would be less confusing. But they also wanted to know they're all associated together.

Between Southern Nationals, Spring Nationals and SoNats Bonus they have around 30 races. Ray Cook wanted to divide the three up because he was afraid offering one 30-race schedule would seem a bit overwhelming. The bonus name comes from the idea that these are "bonus" races run in addition to the actual Southern Nationals Series.

And if he needs make up races for rainouts he can use the bonus series races, at least that's what he told me at PRI last year.