Default Did some measuring on the front end components last night...

So you guys know I have an ancient Mastersbilt in my shop.

The car has a 37/32 QC in it... just bought a 36" axle and tube for the right side.

Measured the upper and lower control arms last night... both sides are the same length... 17" lowers... 8 1/4" uppers. Lots of washers on the left upper to get some positive camber so I will put a longer upper on that side.

So what do I need on the RF? 18" and 8 1/2"? 19" lower?

The good news is it looks like the RF stuff will be my spares for the LF.

Also the spindles measure 9" tall from the very top and bottom of the ball joint mount and 5 1/4" length on the steering arm... can anyone ID these? Is there any newer style that would help the front geometry? S-7... Smackdown? I will likely look for a couple spares....

Thanks as always...

Last edited by Krooser; 03-25-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

That car would have had a 16 5/8 lower on lf. 17 5/8 on rf.

I would have figured one side would be longer but they are both the same sooo..... how about an 18 5/8 or so on the RF and a shorter LF? I'll just shorten the existing LF to the correct length... will that work with the new shorter RR axle?

And which is better?... standard Heim end on the inside of the lower arm or a solid one? This car has regular Heim ends but I have the other style in stock, too.
    Last edited by Krooser; 03-25-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    Class of 2019

Unless I misunderstand, are you referring to where the inner pivot point is? That needs to be a standard style heim because it's going to rotate (so to speak) as the suspension (wheel) moves up and down. The solid ones would be for where the strut rod attaches to the control arm (out by the lower ball joint).

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    That car would have had a 16 5/8 lower on lf. 17 5/8 on rf.
    This is what I was remembering too. Are you gonna run this car, "On The Hook" or "traditional"? If memory serves me you have an old "Combo" frame, right?

Thanks Jet for the info... I've seen 'em both ways. This has the regular heims in the inner mounts.

Going to try a traditional set-up whenever it's done... likely next season. No raised rail or crossmember so it doesn't pay to get too fancy and have the car head for the wall in every turn when it bottoms out...

It was a leaf car converted to coilover's in the late 90's... I think the car has about 5 seasons on it... best guess it's been parked since around '01-'02 from what I have been able to ascertain.

MBR has a set-up I'm going to try... straight panhard bar off the pinion hooked to the right rail and the left side clamped... maybe I can pull that LF up all the way down the straightaway!

First I have to get my Briggs and Stratton power plant fixed up... old car/older driver. Trying to get AARP as a primary sponsor... associate sponsor? Depends!

I had Old Fan lined up as crew chief but he ain't here anymore...
    Last edited by Krooser; 03-26-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    Class of 2019