Thread: Tel Tac II

Default Tel Tac II

We are 99% sure that we are having an issue where we're down on power. Just not getting our usual RPM given known good gearing and track conditions. And getting killed on restarts.
    But I'm wondering if anybody has ever experienced an issue with a Tel Tac II reading lower than usual RPMs. As in 700-800 RPMs lower. Based on what I understand about how a tach works, I don't even know if it is possible but just looking for others' experience.

Serious question .... if you feel “ down on power “ and “ getting killed on restarts “ AND showing 7-800less rpm than normal, everything says you are down on power so why on earth would you consider maybe the tach is bad ??

I've seen where the tac itself was causing the problem.

No. Leak down and compression is next.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

If you're using the MSD tach pickup, it's very unlikely that the RPM readings from the tachometer aren't accurate.

If you think you might have ignition problems, be sure and check all your grounds really well. I see more problems there than anywhere else.
    Last edited by RacerX10; 09-03-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Huck, because the TAC is literally the oldest thing in the car besides the driver :-) And just to make sure I'm not crazy and mis-diagnosing a handling issue that is scrubbing us speed. The car is TOO comfortable which is, to your point, more than likely a result of and not the cause of our issue.
    Leakdown testing wasn't perfect but nothing that should be causing the issues we're having.
    Upon further review, we believe we have diagnosed it down to an electrical problem that we've now fixed. Won't know for sure until we take it back out. Thanks for the feedback, guys.