Thumbs down North Georgia Speedway "Best Practice Facility in the Country!"

One of the most beloved and entertaining speedways in the south has almost completely converted itself into a practice facility!

So far this year by my calculations North Georgia Speedway has had 6+ practices and 1 actual race. I'm confused...

Anyway I guess it's kinda neat to watch big name guys practice every couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by garacefan11 View Post
    One of the most beloved and entertaining speedways in the south has almost completely converted itself into a practice facility!

So far this year by my calculations North Georgia Speedway has had 6+ practices and 1 actual race. I'm confused...

Anyway I guess it's kinda neat to watch big name guys practice every couple weeks.

I know right? Its a shame that the track seems to be in tip top shape for these test sessions, but yet at the ultimate series race we get a blacked over surface by the end of hobby hot laps. Makes absolutely no sense.

It doesn't make any sense to me.. last night there 3 capital cars practicing (including Francis) and the track looked good. Last Friday they had practice but they canceled the race because of the rain that didn't show up until 1:00 am. Maybe the joke is on me and I have no idea about the grand scheme.

Practice is pure profit. No pay out just a few dollars for the couple that work and fuel money for the water truck. I never messed a race in the mid to late 2000s. Made my first laps there but I haven't been in over a year and live 20 mins away. I no longer race and about the only races I go to is the shootout and Lucas at Rome. Racing just isn't want it was 10 years ago around here.

Eventually someone will take over that cares about racing and not about money. If you have to buy groceries with practice money, then you probably won't have any left over to rework the track and buy hot dogs for the next night. Gotta have big pockets and no capital gain interest immediately

Quote Originally Posted by GRT24 View Post
    Practice is pure profit. No pay out just a few dollars for the couple that work and fuel money for the water truck. I never messed a race in the mid to late 2000s. Made my first laps there but I haven't been in over a year and live 20 mins away. I no longer race and about the only races I go to is the shootout and Lucas at Rome. Racing just isn't want it was 10 years ago around here.
    100% right...

My first couple of trips there, were absolutely amazing. The place reminded me and raced like the old Atomic Speedway but that has unfortunately changed. I went to one show there last year and put my camera up after qualifying when everyone was running the wall, where they stayed for the remainder of the night. The track is too awesome to waste away.

The racing this place used to put on week in and week out was probably the best in the southeast but it is far from it now. The saying used to be if you can win at north ga you could win anywhere around here. The weekly competition used to be so stiff. It really upsets me knowing this place has turned into this. Nothing will change until the Youngsters sell it. No one will put the money it needs into it when all you have is a lease agreement.

Do you seriously think someone will lease a facility,put in all the time and money it takes to run a racetrack and do it for the love of racing and not expect to make a profit ?

No I don't expect it to happen. I don't really think anything will happen. It will stay the same and I will keep going, hoping for something great to happen. Eventually, there will be a new management group come in and do the same thing the last 5 have done.

It will take a long term lease and someone there for the long haul.The place has a bad reputation now and that will take a while to overcome.It would take a couple of years before it became profitable.But there is always hope. I figured Sugar Creek was history.