Default Tire Question 92 vs. 88....

I'm sure this has been hashed over before...

Any thoughts on running three 92" tires with an 88" on the LR for stagger vs. three 88's and one 92 for stagger?

Back in my sportsman days we always ran the stagger (short) tire on the LR thinking the larger tires offer better traction as they can roll over small ruts and bumps easier than the smaller tire... the same reason we ran tall 24.5 tires on our big trucks vs. low-pro 22.5's.

Just spit ballin' here guys... let's see what the experts say.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I'm sure this has been hashed over before...

Any thoughts on running three 92" tires with an 88" on the LR for stagger vs. three 88's and one 92 for stagger?

Back in my sportsman days we always ran the stagger (short) tire on the LR thinking the larger tires offer better traction as they can roll over small ruts and bumps easier than the smaller tire... the same reason we ran tall 24.5 tires on our big trucks vs. low-pro 22.5's.

Just spit ballin' here guys... let's see what the experts say.
    We run 3 28.5 and 1 29.0. Taller fronts tighten the car because the taller sidewall is kinda lazy in changing direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    We run 3 28.5 and 1 29.0. Taller fronts tighten the car because the taller sidewall is kinda lazy in changing direction.
    This ^^^^ could explain why some used tires I acquired from Speedweeks, a couple years ago, had been mounted on 12" wheels!
    Last edited by a25rjr; 03-30-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Reminds me we used to run a 2" narrower wheel on the LR... the thought back then was the tire maintained a flatter profile while using less air in the LR. Might have been in the "Humper" era....
    Class of 2019

Not to hijack but is there any true benefit to running a 12 inch wheel? Like a25jr, we bought some used tires and they were mounted on 12 inch wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by missile07 View Post
    Not to hijack but is there any true benefit to running a 12 inch wheel? Like a25jr, we bought some used tires and they were mounted on 12 inch wheels.
    Mark Bush posted an article on this in DLM mag a year or so ago basically saying the same as MBR did. These tires came from a top 5 driver in the country, so either theres an advantage or they were just "testing".
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

That's funny I used to run AR kk 704's on a 10in rim on the lr to try to get more tire on the ground, looked kind of like a gokart LR tire and you guys are running smaller rims.

A25rjr so were they front tires or LR's? From your post I feel like they were fronts

We tended to run the shorter tires on the front on our old stock stub LM on the paper clip tracks because, as MBR says ,it seemed to make the car turn in better. We still follow that practice on our current Super Stock.

[QUOTE=powerslide;2091744]That's funny I used to run AR kk 704's on a 10in rim on the lr to try to get more tire on the ground, looked kind of like a gokart LR tire and you guys are running smaller rims.

A25rjr so were they front tires or LR's? From your post I feel like they were fronts[/QUOTE

They were right sides. They were marked on the inside with the position and circumference.

I know they were mounted on 12" rims because I mounted them on 14's and couldn't get them to match what was written on them. So I dismounted them and put them on a spare set of 12's we had and they matched perfectly.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Would there be a change in left/right weight percentages because a 5" offset 12" wheel is more "centered" than a 5" offset 14" wheel?

And as for the original post, I wondered why he left out 90 tires? I have run an 88 LR at times but I don't ever really see anyone run 88's by me. Most are 90 LR/LF/RF and a 92 RR.

I used the 92/88 scenario since that is the size I have for the car right now... not sure the concrete WISSOTA tires come in 90"... I'll find out soon enough.

I'm surprised that, on a big half mile like I will run, a 4" stagger is what is used... these cars must be pretty tight. Reminds of my old German virgin GF... her name was Gutentite...
    Class of 2019

I have ran both big and short tires on the front, most the time are on 90's. The 92 gives you more ground clearance, but rubs the tire into the bottom of the fender quicker, I settled on 90's because they turned good, and I did not rub the fender bottom as badly.

The reasoning behind the 12" wheel was to make the tire act stiffer, or like it had a higher effective spring rate for the tire. Which you may or may not want.

Krooser, the new Wissota tires do come in 90. They are way better than the old 55's. You can run them a lot longer.

Thanks Keeks... I'll be on used throwaways when I get the Poverty Mastersbilt trackside so I'll run what I can scrounge up. The last time I put the APB out for tires I got two fists full of one night old Hoosiers... I guess somebody felt bad for me!
    Class of 2019