Thread: MARS Series

Default MARS Series

I hate to be negative, however the format change the MARS series has undertook (time trials, fast cars start up front) has significantly reduced the racing portion of their shows.

I have attended three MARS shows this year (Clarksville, Springfield, & West Plains) and passes have been few and far between.

Hopefully, they will reconsider this and go back to the passing points system, which provides MUCH BETTER racing for the fans.
    Last edited by fryefan; 04-03-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Attend a few MARS show on average per year. Time trial format will cause me to attempt to look elsewhere this year.

The MARS series was built on passing points and double file restarts. I wouldn't cross the street for a MARS race now. The time trial format isn't bringing any more cars, it just makes the racing suck.

Things to do...cross MARS events off the schedule.

To each his own but myself I like Qualifing no passing points I just like good dirt racin
    I am what I am

They still call it racin, even if they ain't passing. Thanks dirtcar

Quote Originally Posted by rickybrown1952 View Post
    To each his own but myself I like Qualifing no passing points I just like good dirt racin
    Doesn't look like much racing just following each other around.

The "premier" series do it the same way, and their racing sucks too. The best format is the dual, inverted heat races.

Quote Originally Posted by rickybrown1952 View Post
    I thought BMS and West Plains were decent to good racing last weekend. Glad I made the trip. Good weather.

the older I get, the more i'm convinced great racing is the product of track prep/layout rather than format. unfortunately the number of tracks that can consistently provide a great racing surface is quite small when compared to how many host big $$$ events. jmo
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

👍 klemmabyna

They qualify every week at Fairbury and generally have great races.

Welcome to dirt racing as done in the southeast. Qualify and start the feature strait up. No passing. The winner leads every lap, and the promoters can't get butts in the stands. It just plain sucks!
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

Personally I don't feel like a regional series should do tt's. Could even say that any series paying less than 7k for example should use a passing points format. jmo
    I live with fear, but sometimes she lets me race.

BerckFan: agreed. I love the passing points format. especially at tracks with more than lane.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Yes the MARS series was built on passing points and double file restarts. Disappointing they changed the format. :-(

With passing points in a full regional series, any short comings on one night are evened out over the season. The guys that are fast and can race come to the top. With qualifying, just being fast is good enough some nights.

There is more to this than just format. Someone mentioned Falls. When they qualify there, the contenders all qualify with in a tenth of each other. If you have a burp in the engine or a twitch in the wheel, your in a hole. In the early heats the track is too fast to pass. The first heat is a kiss of death sometimes. At times even the third heat is hard to pass. This leaves only the feature to do all that passing, and they provide a track that has multiple lanes to do it. I think passing points would work at Falls also. They have a great shaped track and manipulate the track with prep, like no others.