Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macon Speedway

Default Macon Speedway

Never been there before and planning on going to the Lucas race later this month. From all the highlights I've seen on DOD, it looks like a great track. How many have been there and did you like it and would you recommend it?

I always enjoy Macon when I go. The summernational race is always entertaining as well as the Lucas show.

Yes you will enjoy the 100 lap feature an make sure you try the Polish sausage
    Last edited by Diggin-IL-Dirt; 04-06-2017 at 06:50 PM.

been there, loved it, can't wait to go back.
    jackie boggs....the last true outlaw
    anyone but lanigan
    Swartz - we don't build race cars fast, we build fast race cars

It's awesome, you'll love it.

Super lates at Macon are phenomenal.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Sit high in the stands, the first few rows get a little mud. Great races.

One of the cooler tracks I've ever been to, it looks like a go kart track and u can't imagine a full sized car on it until they start throwing it in the corner
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

The Lucas show and Herald Review 100 are 2 shows I never miss. You'll want to sit close to the exit of turn 4, front row, for hot laps. It's invigorating.
    8/13/16

If you like Bullrings this is the bullring of Bullrings,,,I still remember Babb one Night Scraping the wall both ends all the way though the turns the hole race...

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellGoode View Post
    Never been there before and planning on going to the Lucas race later this month. From all the highlights I've seen on DOD, it looks like a great track. How many have been there and did you like it and would you recommend it?
    Darrell, Macon is a unique racetrack for late models, to say the least. If the yellow flag doesn't fly too often the leaders are in traffic constantly from lap 15 or so. There will be guys shooting sparks off of the outside wall and there will be guys running over the buried tires on the bottom. If the track stays in good condition the fast way is up on the cushion.

Be aware of where you sit. Despite what highside halfwit says you'll want to be at least half way up in the stands across the front stretch from the flag stand, which is in the infield. If you enjoy being pelted by dirt balls then by all means set in or near turn #4 or #1.

There are two 100 lap dirt late model races at Macon each year and after you've attended one you'll probably make them both must see event's year after year. We went to our first Herald & Review 100 back in 1985 and have missed very few since. We haven't missed a Lucas show yet. Also, the midgets generally put on a spectacular show at Mighty Macon, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Darrell, Macon is a unique racetrack for late models, to say the least. If the yellow flag doesn't fly too often the leaders are in traffic constantly from lap 15 or so. There will be guys shooting sparks off of the outside wall and there will be guys running over the buried tires on the bottom. If the track stays in good condition the fast way is up on the cushion.

Be aware of where you sit. Despite what highside halfwit says you'll want to be at least half way up in the stands across the front stretch from the flag stand, which is in the infield. If you enjoy being pelted by dirt balls then by all means set in or near turn #4 or #1.

There are two 100 lap dirt late model races at Macon each year and after you've attended one you'll probably make them both must see event's year after year. We went to our first Herald & Review 100 back in 1985 and have missed very few since. We haven't missed a Lucas show yet. Also, the midgets generally put on a spectacular show at Mighty Macon, as well.
    This track is great for Lates but is BOMB for midgets...

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    This track is great for Lates but is BOMB for midgets...
    Yes it is, Gary. Macon was originally built by Wayne Webb shortly after WW II primarily for midget racing. The best racing I've ever seen at Mighty Macon was a couple of POWRi National Midget events. Kevin Swindell was a participant in one of those events and is probably the most exciting driver I personally have ever seen at Mighty Macon. Watching him at Macon left no doubt as to why he won 4 consecutive Chili Bowl Championships!

As good as the late models are at Macon I have to say the midgets are consistently better. And that's saying something!!

Sit on the backstretch unless you want to stare at the sun until it goes down, if that's not an option then sit with the wind to your back.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Yes it is, Gary. Macon was originally built by Wayne Webb shortly after WW II primarily for midget racing. The best racing I've ever seen at Mighty Macon was a couple of POWRi National Midget events. Kevin Swindell was a participant in one of those events and is probably the most exciting driver I personally have ever seen at Mighty Macon. Watching him at Macon left no doubt as to why he won 4 consecutive Chili Bowl Championships!

As good as the late models are at Macon I have to say the midgets are consistently better. And that's saying something!!
    Campaign ill Fair grounds 1/2 mile they put a Sprint and a Midget on the track one time the Sprint would pull a way in the front strat and the Midget would catch him in the turns..the best in Ill for Midgets Macon and the big Champaign fair grounds ill..

Thanks for the info! Are the seats reserved?

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellGoode View Post
    Thanks for the info! Are the seats reserved?
    Should be general admission.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    The Lucas show and Herald Review 100 are 2 shows I never miss. You'll want to sit close to the exit of turn 4, front row, for hot laps. It's invigorating.
    I approve of this post!

I went last year for the first time to the UMP Summernational race ..i liked it and I would go back.

Macon is one of those tracks you either love or hate. It's not a track of high speed but a lot of rubbing for sure.