Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorter Races

Default Shorter Races

I was watching Late Model Live on DOD from this past Tuesday and there was a segment in which the topic was should races be shorter? They were talking about how good the 25 lap race at Farmer City was from last Sunday. I agree 100% with Michael Rigsby. I think they should be shorter. When I'm at a race, I look forward to the heat races more than I do the feature. I think the regular Lucas/WoO 50 lappers should be reduced to 40 at most. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellGoode View Post
    I was watching Late Model Live on DOD from this past Tuesday and there was a segment in which the topic was should races be shorter? They were talking about how good the 25 lap race at Farmer City was from last Sunday. I agree 100% with Michael Rigsby. I think they should be shorter. When I'm at a race, I look forward to the heat races more than I do the feature. I think the regular Lucas/WoO 50 lappers should be reduced to 40 at most. Just my thoughts.
    What the hell? They already are. We have almost no 100 lappers compared to the old days. Why would we want less of an exciting event we paid for?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    What the hell? They already are. We have almost no 100 lappers compared to the old days. Why would we want less of an exciting event we paid for?
    Clearly spoken by someone that isn't footing the engine, engine rebuild, and tire bills.
    Lets see do I want to race 40 laps or 100 laps for that $20k if I win or $1k if I finish last......
    Also in my opinion 2 day shows with the exception of a few of the original "crown jewels"(I hate that moniker!) or are two separate paying shows are nothing but a fan and driver gouging rip off.

Let's work on track prep first before debating how long races are and the format.

This might be a stupid idea, but how about for the Summer Nationals we have twin 25s? Run the first 25 lapper, then invert the field for the second 25 lapper. Run Modifieds between the 25s. $1000 bonus if someone wins both.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

joshroth14 Guest

shorter races will eventually lead to a purse cut. You're not winning $50,000 for a 25 lap race. So sure make the races shorter and then the pay gets smaller and it just becomes harder and harder to foot over the cash for the engine rebuilds and tire bills. I think having 10-12 100 lap races a year is perfect. Those are the biggest races you can win and its the way it should be.

Lap sponsors pay for those 50 lap 20,000 to win races. Some of those crown jewels have had the same lap sponsors for years. Even tho woo or Lucas comes in the track owner/promotor can sell off laps. Maybe that mega car dealer down the road wants 25 or the next 25 goes to the local grocery chain. Been that way for years. If you have a good track you're going to have good racing. Some tracks no matter what you do are not going to give you a good race for 50 laps let alone 100. Some promotors have figured that out and reduced there laps.

There are parts of the long and short race, that are different, but both worth watching. Not every track is equipped to run long races and shouldn't.

Now days the purse is reflective of the length of race for sanctioned events. 5k foe 25 laps and 10k for 50 laps and more for longer races. That is to get cars and imply to fans, this is a big race. The gate price reflects the extra cost. I wonder, if the costs go down, will that be reflected in the gate price.

Batesville agrees, that's why they run 98.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdirt View Post
    Let's work on track prep first before debating how long races are and the format.

Yes i agree husker
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    This might be a stupid idea, but how about for the Summer Nationals we have twin 25s? Run the first 25 lapper, then invert the field for the second 25 lapper. Run Modifieds between the 25s. $1000 bonus if someone wins both.

I like this idea. Reminds me of racing yrs ago.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

I like the 50 60 and 75 lappers

Fans love inverts, drivers hate them. Worst thing for the sport is straight up starts
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

I do think races that are 75 laps or more should be a minimum of $30,000 to win

Question I have is how do you sell race fans who go to Lucas or WoO events with a $30 to $35 admission price that the purse is staying the same but you are only getting 40 lap a-mains and not 50 laps?

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    Clearly spoken by someone that isn't footing the engine, engine rebuild, and tire bills.Lets see do I want to race 40 laps or 100 laps for that $20k if I win or $1k if I finish last......Also in my opinion 2 day shows with the exception of a few of the original "crown jewels"(I hate that moniker!) or are two separate paying shows are nothing but a fan and driver gouging rip off.
    Then stay home. As it has been said if you shorten the race the purses will get smaller. If thats the case do you think that ticket to get in will be any cheaper? Not
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Most fans are not going pay $25-40 for a 25 lap race, I wouldn't that for sure. If drivers don't want race 40-50 laps for 5-10k race. Hang it up or go to track pays $500-1000 for 25 laps. Reason tracks don't have 5-10k race every weekend because fans not going pay $25-40 every weekend. Local sponsors that put money up in to help the purse not going do that, specially not for 25 laps.

I noticed alot of drivers that trying get in sat night at farm city didn't Sunday race.

Yea NASCAR sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    Yea NASCAR sucks.
    25 lap Nascar might be good idea this days. They would have to race then by lap 18 half field would be wrecked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    25 lap Nascar might be good idea this days. They would have to race then by lap 18 half field would be wrecked out.
    Carl Edwards isn't racing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    Clearly spoken by someone that isn't footing the engine, engine rebuild, and tire bills.
    Lets see do I want to race 40 laps or 100 laps for that $20k if I win or $1k if I finish last......
    Also in my opinion 2 day shows with the exception of a few of the original "crown jewels"(I hate that moniker!) or are two separate paying shows are nothing but a fan and driver gouging rip off.
    You are making a different argument. It was proposed that the racing was better. You start the race with 4 tires on your car either way. But the other items have merit as far as teams' expenses go. But, you are assuming pay doesn't drop with laps.

But there again, I been in this sport 30 years and expenses always get argued at the wrong times. They watch blindly was cars become down force monstrosities and install wide bore engines. Then they cry cause Davenport wins with some junk hacked out in the shop.