Thread: Driver suits

Default Driver suits

What is the best type of driver suit - one piece or two piece? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by LIS20 View Post
    What is the best type of driver suit - one piece or two piece? Thanks in advance
    If you want it to keep you from burning, 1 piece.

Agreed, one piece. A pain in the butt when it's 95* out and 90% humidity, but the only way you can ensure a total "seal" between top and bottom. I've never tried a two piece but could see the top bunching up when getting down in the seat and leaving a gap between it and the bottom.

I'm tempted to have RJS or Hinchman make me a custom two piece with 'bib's instead of regular pants. You'd have a suit that was cooler when you are just working on the car, have a little better protection from the waist up than a standard one or two piece plus you'd have the much-loved 'Farmer look'...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

If you value your life: One piece. Last thing you want is flames going up between the pants and jacket. To be honest I'm not sure you can get a 2 piece that is rated very long or least I wouldn't think it would pass the so many seconds deal to get a high rating.

Any custom suit manufacturer will build a two piece in any sfi rating you need... maybe not the top fuel stuff but most any other. Hinchman and RJS will as well as Simpson and Impact... just costs a bit more for the two piece.

They all recommend Nomex undergarments for an extra level of protection.

http://www.hinchmanracewear.com/shop...ls.aspx?i=1527
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I have no issues with bunching or riding up or anything else on mine. It's a 2 layer Spec 5 suit in nomex. One piece is prolly still safer.