Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdirtfan View Post
    As i stated in my original post, just tired of hearing the hype year after year. Like always now we have to hear about his limited budget, yep he would win crown jewels if he had money. Maybe we should start a go fundme for a motor, wait someone already tried that.
    You have some serious jealousy issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdirtfan View Post
    As i stated in my original post, just tired of hearing the hype year after year. Like always now we have to hear about his limited budget, yep he would win crown jewels if he had money. Maybe we should start a go fundme for a motor, wait someone already tried that.
    Most of what we read on this site and others is cost. People complain about shocks, wide bore engines, tires, the bodies, the nose pieces, fuel cost etc etc. Rusty makes it work with a limited budget. That seems to bother you. Or it bothers you that it gets brought up. The reason it gets brought up every year? Every year the keyboard racers on 4m act like he owes it to them to go race against the guys with 4 motors in their $300,000 haulers. That brings people to his defense. You call it hype. Those of us in the mid west have seen him out run Babb, Pierce, Erb, Shirley, etc. he has won Hell tour races, the Jonny Appleseed a few times etc. ALMS titles. He started racing against Kris Patterson, Matt Miller, Jeep, Shane Yoder etc. but every year guys like you b!tch because he doesn't race Lucas races or he avoids competition. That's why you have people bring up his budget every year. Racing needs more Rusty Schlenk's!!!!! A lot of people respect him for what he does.
    Go Buckeyes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Toledo, OH View Post
    Most of what we read on this site and others is cost. People complain about shocks, wide bore engines, tires, the bodies, the nose pieces, fuel cost etc etc. Rusty makes it work with a limited budget. That seems to bother you. Or it bothers you that it gets brought up. The reason it gets brought up every year? Every year the keyboard racers on 4m act like he owes it to them to go race against the guys with 4 motors in their $300,000 haulers. That brings people to his defense. You call it hype. Those of us in the mid west have seen him out run Babb, Pierce, Erb, Shirley, etc. he has won Hell tour races, the Jonny Appleseed a few times etc. ALMS titles. He started racing against Kris Patterson, Matt Miller, Jeep, Shane Yoder etc. but every year guys like you b!tch because he doesn't race Lucas races or he avoids competition. That's why you have people bring up his budget every year. Racing needs more Rusty Schlenk's!!!!! A lot of people respect him for what he does.
    i dont personally know him, but this post gives me respect for him because budget wise theres a 100 low budget teams , including myself, to 1 big budget team trying best we can to compete. IMO there is no shame in passing a big race with 20 or more of those big budget teams to go to where you feel you have a chance to compete,JMO....

A win is a win.
    Especially when popular opinion is that it shouldn't be able to happen, at all, ever, anywhere.
    And yet it has happened twice in a short amount of time.
    Congrats again to Rusty and CJ, you earned it and never lost faith.

Racing use to be a blue collar sport and yes I agree with the low budget teams and not trying to compete with the people that have big sponsor's and unlimited funds , I applaud any racer that works hard to keep his own program alive and races every week end with out any big sponsors . That's what made racing so great and now it has grown and I completely understand the big sponsors ,hey if they will give you unlimited funds you are a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) fool to walk away from that , hooray for the small guys

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Toledo, OH View Post
    Excellent analysis.

As has been said a lot of times on here Late model and modified racing costs has went through the roof this issue is not an easy fix but I believe it could be done over time it would take a huge amount of Effort from dirt racing series,tracks and individuals all working together but it CAN be done I know this may sound like some positivety feel good movie or speech to some people but I still say it can be done with people having a lot of patience well we'll wait and see
    Last edited by rickybrown1952; 04-12-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    I am what I am

I would reign in costs with these engines first. No wide bores, put a cubic inch and compression ratio limit on them. The shock prices, idk what could be done there...

Quote Originally Posted by gumby_32d View Post
    I would reign in costs with these engines first. No wide bores, put a cubic inch and compression ratio limit on them.
    That's why there is crate motors.

These are open motor super late models.

And we all know about the crates.....i just don't want to see slm racing totally dry up. Well screw it.....just keep on keeping on then!

And we all know about the crates.....i just don't want to see slm racing totally dry up. Well screw it.....just keep on keeping on then!
    Its kinda like buying a Corvette. Everyone cant afford one, but enough of us buy them to keep GM building them!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

engines are not as relevant as they once were as far as performance goes, meaning, what is the big deal about wide bore engines? on a dry slick track, which most are now days, whats does it really matter if your making 800hp or 900 hp? to me getting control of shocks and other suspension parts is where the answer lies.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    engines are not as relevant as they once were as far as performance goes, meaning, what is the big deal about wide bore engines? on a dry slick track, which most are now days, whats does it really matter if your making 800hp or 900 hp? to me getting control of shocks and other suspension parts is where the answer lies.
    Motors are more relevant now than they have ever been in Dlm's. These newer cars are so tight that even in dry slick conditions you need a ton of horse power to turn and control them. Plus with things so competitive you almost always need to qualify good in order to have a good night.

thats kind of strange, most drivers i talk to with these big powerful motors tell me they rarely use over 3/4 throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by SJA #1 View Post
    Motors are more relevant now than they have ever been in Dlm's. These newer cars are so tight that even in dry slick conditions you need a ton of horse power to turn and control them. Plus with things so competitive you almost always need to qualify good in order to have a good night.
    Motors are very important on big tracks and also on heavy tracks, Smaller slick tracks a guy can get by without having a massive motor, that's why you see those few guys winning races with those 525 motors.

Quote Originally Posted by TMaCiLLiNi39 View Post
    Oh boy.... really killin the competition lol

Btw... nice first post
    Looks to me like Rusty and his Rayburn has the popular vote here on 4m. Over you and your boy lol.

Then again you never was to popular on here now was ya Ernie??

When Rusty wins does that mean he 'schlenked' the field?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Rayburn Rusty giving 'em hell... at a speedway near you!!!

Lightbulb

I would reign in costs with these engines first. No wide bores, put a cubic inch and compression ratio limit on them. The shock prices, idk what could be done there...
    It starts with limiting available traction and downforce, then the cost will take care of itself. The much ballyhooed, "wedge late model" was nearly the exact issue, too much traction, engine cost got stupid, so they went to "Small Body rules" and dirt late model exploded with growth. We have the same issue today due to rule creep, partiality and ignorance.

The first step I think is to implement a body height rule max, no whop sided mounted nose, 6 inches(could be more, could be less) from ground max, all the way across. Same for right side. Instead of a complete slab side on right, make the rear section taper in on left & right the same equally. If you can hinder the aero advantage they lose traction and need less HP and thus negates the need for a wide bore engine. The idea is to make running the car FDAU undoable because the nose will dig into the track and tear it off, so they have to stiffen the RF back up. Then if your not dropping the nose and using bumps and so forth, you lessen the need for the high dollar shock setups. Also limit them to 1 shock per wheel, period. Supers can still be supers, but if you want them to thrive and be healthy some changes need to happen. Besides higher speeds don't usually make for better racing, usually the opposite. JMO

Spot on Maverick