Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top Drivers Weigh in on the Ethics of the Slide Job

Owens, Richards, Pearson, Francis, Marlar and McIntosh discuss the right and wrong ways to use the slide job

http://insidedirtracing.com/top-driv...the-slide-job/

If you have to come to a stop on the cushion in front of someone, you did it wrong.
    If you would've taken the other racers nose off had he not lifted for you, you did it wrong.

Never have figured out how Late Models have always viewed a slide job as a dirty move when it's commonplace in Winged and Non-Winged Sprint cars. When it comes to danger, the sprints have zero room for error yet when a Late Model driver causes someone to use the brake pedal it's considered dirty by some fans?

I go to watch Racing, and Racing means guys fighting tooth and nail for position, not being nice and making sure there is zero chance of rubbing sheet metal. I don't want anyone to wreck, but all the cars have a gas and brake pedals in them. If you don't know how to use the brake when a guy is 3/4 past you and moving up the track or into your groove, that is on you, not them, you could've lifted or used the brake.

I personally HATE the rules in IndyCar where they make it so guys can't race by penalizing guys for any little contact. Seems that that is what many Late Model fans and drivers think they should have.

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    Never have figured out how Late Models have always viewed a slide job as a dirty move when it's commonplace in Winged and Non-Winged Sprint cars. When it comes to danger, the sprints have zero room for error yet when a Late Model driver causes someone to use the brake pedal it's considered dirty by some fans?good post that is the way it should be it is dirt racing not little pitter patter cars goin around a track I still say rubbin's racin to a point of course I myself like aggressive racing I go to watch Racing, and Racing means guys fighting tooth and nail for position, not being nice and making sure there is zero chance of rubbing sheet metal. I don't want anyone to wreck, but all the cars have a gas and brake pedals in them. If you don't know how to use the brake when a guy is 3/4 past you and moving up the track or into your groove, that is on you, not them, you could've lifted or used the brake.I personally HATE the rules in IndyCar where they make it so guys can't race by penalizing guys for any little contact. Seems that that is what many Late Model fans and drivers think they should have.
    good post it's dirt racing not little pitter patter cars going around a track I still say rubbin's racin to a point of course I myself like aggressive racing
    I am what I am

Never have figured out how Late Models have always viewed a slide job as a dirty move when it's commonplace in Winged and Non-Winged Sprint cars.
    Very true.
    Just this past weekend at the two night Kokomo Grand Prix there were dozens of sliders thrown and in some cases the guy being slid had to get off the throttle and touch the brake to avoid a potentially bad situation. Most times the guy being slid pulls the crossover move and get the position back. The slider is one of the most exciting moves in dirt open wheel racing and is taken for granted by dirt open wheel drivers and spectators, alike.
    I personally HATE the rules in IndyCar where they make it so guys can't race by penalizing guys for any little contact. Seems that that is what many Late Model fans and drivers think they should have.
    I too do not like some of the rules regarding blocking and contact in the top echelon's of American open wheel racing. However, it's clearly understandable why they are in place and enforced and it has to do with drivers and equipment being protected. In the days gone by the drivers of open wheel cars themselves policed those situations with swift and sure punishment. Even with that being the case driver mortality was exponentially higher than it is today.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickSprints View Post
    If you have to come to a stop on the cushion in front of someone, you did it wrong.
    If you would've taken the other racers nose off had he not lifted for you, you did it wrong.
    It's as simplas that folks.

I find that most of the complaining about dirty slide jobs is done on this 4m where the miserable people who have nothing better to do come to have something to b!tch about.

Black F Mavericksprints = not Bobby Pierce fans lmao.... by the way what you described is the definition of a slidejob...otherwise the word would not exist...
    Last edited by Illtsate32; 04-13-2017 at 05:04 PM.

When did ethics become involved..the overtaking car should take into consideration whether the other may have to brake or take another direct path?? Nonsense..if you clear em all good you got passed deal with it accordingly...
    Last edited by Illtsate32; 04-13-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Never have figured out how Late Models have always viewed a slide job as a dirty move when it's commonplace in Winged and Non-Winged Sprint cars. When it comes to danger, the sprints have zero room for error yet when a Late Model driver causes someone to use the brake pedal it's considered dirty by some fans?
    Exactly. That's what's great about open wheel racing.
    8/13/16

Thumbs down

I go to watch Racing, and Racing means guys fighting tooth and nail for position, not being nice and making sure there is zero chance of rubbing sheet metal. I don't want anyone to wreck, but all the cars have a gas and brake pedals in them. If you don't know how to use the brake when a guy is 3/4 past you and moving up the track or into your groove, that is on you, not them, you could've lifted or used the brake.

Ask Dave Darland how much he likes being fed the RR... A late model isn't a sprint and can't change course near as quickly or abruptly as a sprint car can. Rubbing, door banging some is fine, but throwing a slider when you know you can't clear them is BS racing, and they best hope it isn't me that they expect to lift.

Good post.......but the other 71???
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Most slide jobs only work is if the guy you are sliding up in front of realizes he has a brake pedal. Yes you can turn down under the guy, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. If that guy you just slid decides I am not backing off or jabbing that brake pedal. Well the destruction on the outside wall should be rather interesting. It is a out of control move. Hard on the gas, jump on the brakes and hope to hell the cushion keeps you off the wall or the front of the car you just slid. Some, like to use the guy up and use his car as a cushion.

Ask Dave Darland how much he likes being fed the RR... A late model isn't a sprint and can't change course near as quickly or abruptly as a sprint car can. Rubbing, door banging some is fine, but throwing a slider when you know you can't clear them is BS racing, and they best hope it isn't me that they expect to lift.
    Being fed a RR is not a slide job. That is a driver that isn't skilled enough to know when they actually have cleared a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    When did ethics become involved..the overtaking car should take into consideration whether the other may have to brake or take another direct path?? Nonsense..if you clear em all good you got passed deal with it accordingly...
    Now you sound Like his dad Crash your way to the front..Ethics why his dad cant get someone to back there car....Why they cant get in to NASCAR lol....Your Bobby was not clearing them...
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 04-18-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Black F Mavericksprints = not Bobby Pierce fans lmao.... by the way what you described is the definition of a slidejob...otherwise the word would not exist...
    He did not say Hand job he said Slidejob...

This sport police's itself Some drivers are more patient than others,but if it happens enough they all will get tired of it.Casey Roberts/Josh Richards is a good example.After Roberts tuned him up Richards seems to have calmed down quite a bit.And Roberts is as paitient a driver as you will find.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff said View Post
    This sport police's itself Some drivers are more patient than others,but if it happens enough they all will get tired of it.Casey Roberts/Josh Richards is a good example.After Roberts tuned him up Richards seems to have calmed down quite a bit.And Roberts is as paitient a driver as you will find.
    Yep......he sure is.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Slide jobs are part of racing. They come, good bad and in between. If your slidding or being slid, you do what you have to do, to keep it from becoming a wreck. When it becomes a wreck, it cost money and any chance of winning or placing well. That's why you hear, "I won't hit the brake" in the stands, than you do from the pits. Pay backs are talked about more than done. Truth is, most times they cost a lot of money, between repairs and lost winnings or sometimes getting banned for rough driving. But up here in the stands, we can do pay backs all night long. Turn all them near misses in to wrecks and never lose a dime.

When Casey Roberts talks, people listen!
    That was beautiful.