Default Mastersbilt spindle measurements?

Looking for info on what the measurements are on the different types of spindles, uppers and lowers between the 3 common types. Factory Smackdown, S7, Gen X. I bought a 2010 Mastersbilt that was advertised as a Gen X. After checking the serial it was a 2010 Smackdown but the guy told me it had 2012 updates. When I asked what updates were done he told me he wasn't exactly sure but he said he thinks it was something with the cross member. After going over the car I am pretty sure it has Gen X front end parts under it. To the best of my knowledge the pickup points were not the same between the Smack and Gen X so I'm wondering if thats why the cross member was updated to be able to run the Gen X stuff? If someone could give me the dimensions or measurements of the fronted components I could figure out whats on the car and make a decision which route we want to go. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayzsmoke14 View Post
    Looking for info on what the measurements are on the different types of spindles, uppers and lowers between the 3 common types. Factory Smackdown, S7, Gen X. I bought a 2010 Mastersbilt that was advertised as a Gen X. After checking the serial it was a 2010 Smackdown but the guy told me it had 2012 updates. When I asked what updates were done he told me he wasn't exactly sure but he said he thinks it was something with the cross member. After going over the car I am pretty sure it has Gen X front end parts under it. To the best of my knowledge the pickup points were not the same between the Smack and Gen X so I'm wondering if thats why the cross member was updated to be able to run the Gen X stuff? If someone could give me the dimensions or measurements of the fronted components I could figure out whats on the car and make a decision which route we want to go. Thanks in advance.
    Is the steering rack raised to where it takes a center pull mount on the right side to line up the tie rod? If no, it hasn't been changed. I would suspect it hasn't. They were not making Smacks into Gen X at that time as far as I know.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I can't help with the original stuff, but...

S7 frontend: LU is 10 1/2", LL is 16 5/8", RU is 8 1/4", and RL is 18 5/8". LF spindle is 10 1/2" tall and RF spindle is 9 3/4" tall. OEM spindles will have a MasterSbilt tag welded to them in which the "S" looks like a lightning bolt.

Gen-X frontend: LU is 11 1/2", LL is 17 3/4", RU is 8 1/2" and RL is 19 1/4". Both spindles are 9 3/4" tall. OEM spindles will have a tag welded to them that has a lower case "m" and "b" with the lightning bolt "S" in between.

The steering arm lengths are the same between the two styles (5" LF and 5 1/4" RF). The S7 spindles obviously have a 7* pin inclination, and I believe the Gen-X are either 8* or 9* (I'm unsure exactly but know they are more). Both use an 18 1/4" R&P but the Gen-X has a center pull end on the right side.

The control arm lengths are also what they call for, but can be cheated out some with the heims (lowers), and depending if it has the updated LF tower (if not, you can run the longer LU on the Smackdown if it has the straight tower).

I know they have been putting Gen-X stubs on some of the Smackdowns to update them. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 04-13-2017 at 01:19 PM.

This is some good info guys and very helpful. I am almost certain the RF lower is a Gen X. I honestly can't remember what is on the car as far as rack and center pull mount so I will go check it tonight. As far as the LF tower you mean the uprights that the upper connects to being curved in correct? If so they are curved in on the LF.

This is some good info guys and very helpful. I am almost certain the RF lower is a Gen X. I honestly can't remember what is on the car as far as rack and center pull mount so I will go check it tonight. As far as the LF tower you mean the uprights that the upper connects to being curved in correct? If so they are curved in on the LF.
    A Gen X rf lower goes right on a Smack down.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

OP - Yes, what I call a tower is where the control arm mounts to the chassis (uprights as you said). My Smackdown is an '07 and hadn't been updated in that area, so I ran a longer LU on the inside of the mount, per MasterSbilt.

Ok good deal. Thanks for the info guys. Im not sure whats on there yet but what would they have been trying to achieve by just bolting the Gen X lower on without the KPI of the Gen X spindle? Tighten the car possibly and add camber?

Most likely. With it being longer to begin with, you can cheat it out probably another 1/4" or so, so it'd realistically be about 1" longer than the standard Smackdown lower.

I also just thought of something, the lowers on a Smackdown bolt to the backside of the crossmember whereas the lowers on a Gen-X actually bolt to the front...apparently to help keep the crossmember from bottoming out. So to clarify, the crossmember is further back in a Gen-X (you wouldn't bolt a Gen-X lower to the front of a Smackdown crossmember. The R&P plate is extended to compensate and for clearance laterally.).

The two chassis also have differences in the rear, but first things first I guess.
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 04-13-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Ok good deal. Thanks for the info guys. Im not sure whats on there yet but what would they have been trying to achieve by just bolting the Gen X lower on without the KPI of the Gen X spindle? Tighten the car possibly and add camber?
    Yes. Camber gain, move rf out. Also gain the inside shock mount if you want to use that.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for! Awesome. Before you can figure out how to get where you want to go you must first know where you are at. I was going to include the rear in my question because I know the 2 cars are also different in the rear on the axle tube lengths and mount points etc. I know some of the MBH cars were Gen X front and Smack rear but I was thinking exactly what you said, first things first. Thanks guys. I will probably have more questions once I measure everything.

Great info...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Any ideas on what an 11" LF spindle would be? I can't find any markings or tags on the spindles at all. The left front is 11" tall and is round tube construction. The right front has no markings either but is 9 3/4 tall and box construction. The RF lower is a Gen X and the RF upper is an aftermarket 1" longer to compensate the added length of the lower. LF uppers and lowers seem to be the same length as you described the S7. I think now that I am going to order new spindles. Would you suggest the S7 or Gen X spindles on the car? I would definitely change uppers to compensate for Gen X kpi to achieve proper camber if i went that route but was curious on opinions.

Any ideas on what an 11" LF spindle would be? I can't find any markings or tags on the spindles at all. The left front is 11" tall and is round tube construction. The right front has no markings either but is 9 3/4 tall and box construction. The RF lower is a Gen X and the RF upper is an aftermarket 1" longer to compensate the added length of the lower. LF uppers and lowers seem to be the same length as you described the S7. I think now that I am going to order new spindles. Would you suggest the S7 or Gen X spindles on the car? I would definitely change uppers to compensate for Gen X kpi to achieve proper camber if i went that route but was curious on opinions.
    Put the s7 stuff on except use gen x rf lower. Space upper out to compensate. Drop rf upper mounting holes 1" on chassis.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

The 11" spindle may be the original design, if actually MasterSbilt. The spindles from them are made of round tubing primarily. I have TWM and PPM spindles laying around also. Both are of a square tube design with the welds on the TWM being along the "seams" (corner edge of the square) and the PPM's being built with what looks like two "halves" (a welded seam running down the middle of the square), snout side and ball joint side. Both just have stickers on them as identifiers, which easily could come off.

Early MB spindle... Note round shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Krooser; 04-20-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Thanks for the info guys.