Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it really Crate racing ?

Is it really Crate racing if you running a 15,000.00, built Crate motor ?

And adding on a bunch of light weight bolt ons? No

Could you please elaborate on the $15,000 built crate engine? What are they doing to them for this extra $$$ and are you saying this is a crate class that allows this or are you saying this is what is being run in the sealed crate classes? How much more hp and rpm can they get out of them and who is building this crate engines? Are these 604's?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't know a whole lot about crate racing and this sounds like wasted money if it is happening. I would think it would be very easy to figure out who is running one of these $15k engines.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by cratedaddyD21 View Post
    Is it really Crate racing if you running a 15,000.00, built Crate motor ?
    Unless this is a CT525, $15K for a crate is just money thrown away.
    Some people think "blueprinting" is the same as "built", it isn't and it doesn't cost $15K.
    As long as it still meets all the specs it doesn't matter how much they spent, as the old saying goes,
    "A fool and his money are soon parted".
    Last edited by MaverickSprints; 04-20-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Blue printing a crate by a licensed builder is not illegal, it's definitely advantageous and finally no it's not crate racing anymore. The people running these series have alway and only been about taking your (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) money!

Mullins and Karl Performance are building what they call Crate killer motors..I think it sells for $11.500. 100 more horsepower they say....I dont know where their legal at..

see ad below ↓
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by highgroove View Post
    Mullins and Karl Performance are building what they call Crate killer motors..I think it sells for $11.500. 100 more horsepower they say....I dont know where their legal at..

see ad below ↓
    Mullins deal is for the B Mod where you can run either a crate engine or a spec " crate killer " engine. These guys are talking about the Crate LM divisions.

I do know there are guys who's whole focus is on selling new crate engines, servicing or rebuilding crate engines, and selling their own package of add on components and dyno services. Brad Hibbard posts here quite a bit on the Crate tech section. His business is Race 1. I've spoke with him in person and his top package is right at $13,000. Very in depth, and created through massive amounts of testing every conceivable component combination, right down to specific fluids and fuel. All dyno proven to create the absolute best performance in their arena. Just like every other division, it's way, way out of hand.
    Last edited by Senroc-Systems; 04-21-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by victorylane View Post
    Could you please elaborate on the $15,000 built crate engine? What are they doing to them for this extra $$$ and are you saying this is a crate class that allows this or are you saying this is what is being run in the sealed crate classes? How much more hp and rpm can they get out of them and who is building this crate engines? Are these 604's?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't know a whole lot about crate racing and this sounds like wasted money if it is happening. I would think it would be very easy to figure out who is running one of these $15k engines.
    First see post #7 on this thread.

The extra money up and beyond the initial cost of the engine is the rest of the parts you need to make it complete. Carb and spacer, complete ignition system, exhaust system, pulleys and belts, sensors, sending units, and indicators. Every one of the listed pieces are specifically designed for the Crate divisions. Next is the blueprinting process. This process is complicated, and it is time consuming and labor intensive. It is checking every conceivable dimension in the machine work, internal components, oil system in the block itself. The same goes for the cylinder head castings and their components. Then you have the clearances and inspecting of said parts and pieces. Next is running it on the dynamometer. Break-in procedure, allowed adjustments to maximize performance in every area allowed, by any means necessary right down to specific light weight lubricants, and specifically designed fuels. It all adds up.

On top of that I've heard of one top crate team purchased over a dozen engines, tricked them all out, and kept the best 4, and resold all the rest......

Like I said in the last post, it's way, way out of hand.

With all of this said, when is the last time you saw a crate torn down on a local level? The tech man is like "well there the seals are, this guy is apparently as clean and pure as the wind driven snow".. if you think there aren't some blatantly cheated up crates out there that guy's use when they feel tech isn't likely to tear down you are crazy. There was a recent asphalt race where they dynoed the winning car and his stuff was WAY better than everyone else's. After that the car owner refused to allow it to be torn down.

Crates only ever promised an affordable engine. Take that away, and the class is absolutely pointless.

As an aside, up my way, there's been a lot of movement from crates to supers, mostly guys that moved down moving back up.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

There are guys winning national crate races with engines straight from GM its not always about hp.

Put a flat claim price on crate engines less bolt ons and a another price on one complete from fan to flywheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post
    Blue printing a crate by a licensed builder is not illegal, it's definitely advantageous and finally no it's not crate racing anymore. The people running these series have alway and only been about taking your (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) money!

Quote Originally Posted by nuff said View Post
    Put a flat claim price on crate engines less bolt ons and a another price on one complete from fan to flywheel.
    Claimed rules do not work. It's useless to even try.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Claimed rules do not work. It's useless to even try.
    Yep. They are never used.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

If it was cheap, it would just be a parade and everyone would do it. Racing cost and how fast you want to go is determined by how much you are willing to spend. Just the way it is. Kinda like I have a caviar taste but only a tuna fish budget!!!

Quote Originally Posted by President Clinton View Post
    If it was cheap, it would just be a parade and everyone would do it. Racing cost and how fast you want to go is determined by how much you are willing to spend. Just the way it is. Kinda like I have a caviar taste but only a tuna fish budget!!!
    Monica didn't take a shower first?
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

the initial post says $15,000 built crate engine. I take that as a long block without all the extras. The extras don't really matter because you have to have a carb, headers, water pump, pulleys, etc. for any engine. LW racing oil doesn't cost anymore than regular racing oil. What I'm getting at is something has to be really changed to up the cost that much for a long block. I do not see how blue printing and making these so called fine adjustments can make a huge difference plus the the break in procedure. I want to hear some dyno numbers gained by all this. I just can't see this being much more than 20hp max. If someone is paying $15k for that they are wasting money.

15k for a crate?where does this motor come from?Just like to know from someone where they paid 15k for one

Jeff how much are you paying for a crate engine? When you had one at the end of the season for sale for what ? 8k used?

All crate racing has done is put guys in your position to buy more expensive low friction this and that, pay a lot less for an engine now than before but spend it on junk!

crate engines had their place but these track rule makers screwed everyone! Now we have this crate wack a$$ B.S.