Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Paid 6500 for mine then put 1500 worth of add ons.

And here's the proof that it's all about taking advantage of racers.

Just look around folks. The top teams have big sponsor logos from who? The infield signage has logos of who? I mean hell the entire Wild West shootout had a big sponsor who does nothing else but sell to racers.

This stuff is getting ridiculous. A vast majority of the money in this sport comes from within it . that should tell you all it's a big screw job.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post

All crate racing has done is put guys in your position to buy more expensive low friction this and that, pay a lot less for an engine now than before but spend it on junk!
    Exactly what I've been saying!!! Light weight/low friction bolt ons and thinner lubricants.

Someone from NASCAR one time was saying back in the day when they qualified for Daytona, some wouldn't run any rear gear fluid to reduce the amount of drag. Same with the oil for the engine. They'd use the thinnest they could find. Just needed it to last 1-2 laps after that they could change whatever with out penalty

don't forget about these guys running "crates" because they cant afford open motors, then pull up in their $200,000 haulers

Same stupid remarks every year. Most of these comments don't even deserve a response. I'm not gonna get into what I've spent racing crates vs what I wasted running f'n hobby stocks. I'll tell you this I won 4 races last year and was competitive every where I went with a 4 yr old motor that is legal and has been freshened twice. First time it was blueprinted but that doesn't cost much more than a freshen up so save that BS. Other than a 2nd gen Bert which I've had since 2011 with one freshen on it and a 8" 4.11 rear that i've had just as long that's all I've got that would be even remotely considered crate specific...

The guys Winning will never see the problem with the big picture. See post 24! Crates were intended to be a viable option for stock cars and mods . Which they would make very competitive options in both but are not legal at most tracks for particular classes.

With that failure the industry has capitalized off the ignorance of many .

The big picture has nothing to do with crates. If you want to talk about why racing in general is in trouble I'll agree with #24. I like racing late models. the only way I can do that and be competitive is in crates where I know I'm not getting out HP'd most times. Could I afford a LLM? Maybe but not a good enough piece to run up front. I'm not into pissing away money to ride around with no chance to win. As far as going back down to a stock car type class, that will never happen. Nothing against them cause they put on some good races sometimes. Just not for me after racing late models for so long. If crates go away then so will I and I will find better things to do with my money. I for sure wouldn't be sitting in the stands... I'd rather take in a stick and ball game of some sort. SLM racing has gotten for the most part boring. Lots of reasons for that as well but thats not for this thread either.

Dedwylder won a NE Smith national touring race with a 604 straight from GM last year so don't be sold on smoke and mirrors.
    Last edited by GRT62; 04-24-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRT62 View Post
    Dedwylder won a NE Smith national touring race with a 604 straight from GM last year so don't be sold on smoke and mirrors.
    nesmith techs there races really good, should have said that

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by cratedaddyD21 View Post
    Is it really Crate racing if you running a 15,000.00, built Crate motor ?
    Technically yes, even if it's blueprinted(legal). However I think what's happened to crate racing is what's known as, "The law of unintended consequences". They intended to or at least "sold" it as an inexpensive working mans class. It was suppose to get people back racing that had given up due to escalating costs. What happened was they ended up offering more money than what weekly limited and supers were paying, so guys quit those classes to run crate. They canabalized those 2 divisions to create today's crate class. So now there are fewer supers around and fewer good paying super races so now to make a living with a dirt late model you have to run crate also to make a living. So now the Pro's bring their arsenal to bare on the supposed working guy crate regulars and usually leave with the big money. Guys like Rambo and JD do this a lot, I don't blame them, it's legal and makes financial sense for them to do it. The powers that be could've done things different but they didn't, purses should have been less but spread out over the field more evenly and specials should be invitationals and had a stipulation that racers must've run 50% of weekly shows to be eligible to run. So yes a crate costing $13k-$15k can be legal if your into snake oil salesman, but it is in a free market legal. Crates need to go or at least be completely rethought. JMO.
    Last edited by MaverickSprints; 04-24-2017 at 07:40 AM.