Thread: Woodward rack

Default Woodward rack

Is there anyway to make a Woodward rack with an inline servo steer a little harder? This is my first year in late model and coming from a street stock with a stock gm steering box it is tough for me to get used to how quick and easy my car is steering.

Does it have the Woodward servo? If it does, you just change the torsion bar to a thicker one. Instructions are on Woodward's site. If it has a sweet servo, you have to send the servo to sweet to do the same thing.

Yes it's a Woodward servo. How do I tell which torsion bar I have so I know I'm getting a harder one?

Remove it following the instructions from the
    site. Measure the diameter of the bar in the middle where it is smallest.

Thank you. Steering just seems very "Darty like." Felt like a sprint car my first fee laps working the steering wheel. Reminds me a lot of when I used to race karts. I suppose it's just something I'll have to get used to. Thank you.

When I went to a faster ratio and the lightest torsion bar it felt darty for the heat race and maybe a few laps of the main, but after that it has been great. I run the 4.19 rack and lightest servo.

The torsion bar isn't going to "slow down" the steering ratio. It will just make it harder to turn the wheel. If you're struggling getting used to the quicker steering, you may want to consider a slower ratio rack. But you will have your hands full on a heavy race track if you go too slow ratio.

If you have a 15 inch steering wheel, going to a 17 can help slow it a bit. Other than that I would adapt and get used to it.

Is the steering too quick, or is the car darty for other reasons? Are you over steering/correcting, or it it hard to keep straight on the straitaways? Could just need seat time to adjust to the car or it could be an issue with front suspension/geometry. Maybe have someone take a couple laps it it to be sure so you don't waste time and money chasing something that isn't there or trying to adapt to a car that has a real problem

Thanks for the replies everyone. I believe it's something I just need to get used to. Each run I made got better so I feel it was definitely me not an issue with the car. Just going to have to refer back to my karting days!

I went out to the shop to double check my front end tonight. Found the LF caster was way off. Rocket recommends +3.5 degrees on the RF and +1.5 degrees on the LF. When I checked it the first time, I saw 1.5 degrees and called it good. Not realizing it was at -1.5 degrees. (I took for granted the previous owner had it correct and didn't pay attention.) So I had a 5 degree caster split instead of the recommended 2 degree split. So I adjusted it to where it's supposed to be and with the car on the floor (not running) it freed the steering up a lot. With our car being an older black front with one piece lowers that have a rubber bushing mounted in the crossmember, is it possible that with 3 degrees of castor in the wrong direction, could that rubber bushing been binding causing erratic steering on a rough track making it seem "darty"?

Negative caster will make a car darty, even if everything else is perfect. Glad you found that. Hopefully it feels a lot better.