Default Beadlock sealing Tricks

Tricks on getting beadlocks to seal up? Mainly DOT tires. What works for you? I've tried just about everything. I'll listen to anything!

i have seen guys put a bike inner tube between the ring and the tire. DOT tires have a thinner bead, have to build up the bead, or have a custom rings made that narrow the gap.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I use to put a small bead of silicone on both surfaces. torque the bolts and then air it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    i have seen guys put a bike inner tube between the ring and the tire. DOT tires have a thinner bead, have to build up the bead, or have a custom rings made that narrow the gap.
    It sounds dumb, but it does seem like after a DOT tire has been locked down previous it won't seal if you try it again.

only luck I've ever has was using a new wheel. otherwise you have to babysit them on race night.

bead of blue or red silicone, let it set up, clamp the ring down and air up. Dot tires are tuff. Also make sure the bolt holes are flat, might have to tap them down with round end of ball peen hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Hodrod7 View Post
    Tricks on getting beadlocks to seal up? Mainly DOT tires. What works for you? I've tried just about everything. I'll listen to anything!
    I fought this problem a lot. Tried silicone several times, tried grinding the inner sidewall smooth. Nothing worked, wouldn't hold pressure through one night. I used a large section of inner tube from a combine tire and cut a gasket to go between the tire and wheel. The larger the tube, the easier it is to get a section that will lay flat. Bolt holes are easily cut in the rubber with a piece of 5,/16 tubing sharpened in a drill.
    Don't go to thick, it won't take much to seal.

Hoosier tires and DOT tires can have thinner beads that cause problems. There is a shim made by Weld...…...P601-5050 "Hoosier Beadlock Shim" …..alum. shim goes between wheel and lock. Berhent's speed center have them on their website.