Thread: About Oil

Default About Oil

not much conversation lately so I thought I would try to start some

I invite everyone to watch the 5 separate videos on the Race 1 home page
    they have been done by Lake Speed at Driven Oil (Gibbs) but our informational only

YES there are Driven logos all through the videos and pictures of Driven products but Lake only offers up information in these videos not sales pitches for Driven products

at Race-1 we "recommend" and use Driven products but never insist on the customer using them.
    we feel it is best to give the information and let the customer do their own research and make their own choices
    these videos will give you the information that you need to ask your oil supplier and engine builder the correct questions about oil

I suggest starting with #1 and watching the series in order as you have time.

here is the link and then just click the banner to access the videos www.race-1.com

Brad
    www.race-1.com

I attended one of Lake Speed's oil seminars... very informative with zero pressure to buy anything (he didnt have any there to sell anyway). While the skeptics will doubt me I found Speed's presentation fantastic...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I have been on the Gibbs product long before I knew Lake Speed or any of the facts.
    I have made my choices based on results of punishment.
    I have story after story just like everyone else
    we have never pushed a oil brand on our customers----we simply supply what we know and let them make their own decisions
    we do highly recommend a weight
    and all customers are instructed to NOT use synthetic oils until break in is complete
    I appreciate Lake Speed taking time to build the informative videos and not make it a sales pitch

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Brad whats you opinion on mineral vs. synthetic oils.

Brad, what weight oil do you recommend in the 602?

Thanks.

on the subject of mineral vs synthetic---this is my general understanding and may not be completely accurate---
    synthetic oils withstand heat better so they maintain viscosity better
    synthetic oils with stand contaminants better so they last longer
    synthetic oils contain additive packages that are not conducive to timely and proper break-in
    break-in oils are typically mineral based with proper anti wear additives

on the subject of weight---(either crate engine 602-604)
    the following are Race-1's findings & beliefs and may vary from other engine builders findings
    all wet sump engines should be using a multi weight oil ---the straight weight oils are entirely too hard on the distributor gear

typically an engine builder chooses the hot weight based on clearances within the engine but in the GM crate engine we have another item to think about and that is the hydraulic lifter

we have found that the average GM lifter is happiest with a hot weight of 40

if the lifter internals are a little tighter then thinner oils will be fine and if they are somewhat looser or "leaky" as I like to call them then a heavier oil will be better

I have some examples of this and will post them later.

Brad
    www.race-1.com

more discussion about the weight of the oil for a crate engine-----

the additive packages in the modern era have advanced to a point where the use of a incorrect viscosity (weight) may not show any direct problems

In our opinion at Race-1 the clearances within the GM circle track crate engines would normally call for a 30 viscosity rating during "normal" hot operation

since day 1 of the GM CT crate engine the manufacturer has recommended a 15/50 oil
    we believe that is based on the intended use and not necessarily on the clearances within the engine.
    We do not know for a fact what their reason is but that is our theory behind their choice.

Heat lowers the viscosity index and these engines in many circumstances develop high oil temperatures

under normal oil temperatures ----lower viscosity oils will normally show an increase in power
    and many engine builders gauge this from dyno runs where the oil temperatures may never hit the actual temperature that it does under race conditions.

what has to be considered is the hydraulic lifter
    if the oil temp gets above the oils operating range and the viscosity index begins to lower the hydraulic lifter may begin to become soft, especially at high RPM
    this is why as an average statement we recommend a 10/40 oil
    so that when the oil temperatures become elevated the lifter still has enough viscosity to do its job.

I spoke of an example in an earlier post---here it is
    I had a customer that was very successful in the crate racing business
    his entire carrier was spent qualifying on XP0 (0 weight) and racing on XP1 (5w/20)
    with the success history of this team it was very hard to tell him that he was incorrect in his choice of oils but after explaining our findings he ran a feature race with XP9 (10W/40)----I received the call at about midnight with him explaining that he had always thought the crate engines just naturally lost power as the race went on---he went on to tell me that the difference was incredible and the engine made the same power on the last lap, that it did on the first lap and he had never experienced that before

Brad
    www.race-1.com

question for brad, what oil pump would be best high volume or high pressure? if high pressure how high is to high? this is with oil cooler and 8 quart pan and would the pump depend on what type of sbc motor?

The term "synthetic" does not mean much anymore. Most oils that are labeled as "synthetic" are actually mostly mineral oil that has been processed by isodewaxing and hydrocracking. Most name brand oils that are marketed for street vehicles contain a fair amount of "synthetic" base oil. I am not saying you should use street oil in a racing engine, because the additive packages in street oils are not ideal for racing applications. But I am saying that you should be aware that oils that are labeled as synthetic are not always what we are led to believe by marketing. There are real synthetic based oils on the market. I think some of red-line's oil are real synthetics, as are some of amsoil's products, and some of the royal purple products.

valid conversatition-------------for the sake of information let's sparr
    hopefully I can get Lake Speed to chime in

Brad