Thread: Anti dive

Default Anti dive

I noticed some guys use the anti dive spacer on the RF and some don't. I get the how it works. What I want to know is how much difference it makes and what conditions to use it.

Assuming you're talking about right lower control arm front pivot. I've considered putting a spacer in there for heavy track conditions where the nose is plowing going into the corner. Haven't done it but in theory it should help.

What is the benefit of spacing the lower compared to moving the front of the upper on the chassis to help anti dive? The front strut bolt is the lowest point to hit the track as it is, so lowering that point might help anti dive but would also put it that much closer to the track. Or am I misunderstanding where the spacer is going?

Two thought here and things to keep in mind:

1. Are you using enough brake to actually reduce the RF dive. This will vary track to track and surface and can dramatically change over the night of racing where you may use no brakes during qualifying and come feature time use them fairly heavily for an extended amount of time.

2. Even without the anti-dive from the braking, changing it you are changing the caster gain/loss during compression or rebound. So even without braking you are still changing things somewhat.

If you have no anti dive built in, wouldn’t you get pro dive and caster loss as the left rear hikes up and right front travels down? Perhaps it’s to keep it more neutral under normal chassis movements? Or do most manufacturers account for that when they design the car?

Another thing to consider is that anti-dive in the RF is a complete non-issue if the RF brake is shut off.
    With everybody trying to keep the LF down, I can see pro-dive being a good thing there. But be ready for a pretty loose condition on the brakes.
    I've got my own thoughts on anti-dive but they are going to require me to make some drawings and then posting them on here is a complete dumpster fire. I may get around to it later.

Wouldnt adding pro dive to the RF make the car tighter on the brakes? It would 1. Soften the effective spring rate of the RF on brakes. 2. It would reduce caster, so the natural self steering forces of the wheels towards the infield would be decreased. On the brakes it would be more tight, especially with the wheels turned right because now you’re not jacking on the RF corner as much and with a softer spring rate, more is corner load is going to the RR, but, when you pick up the gas, you’ll be more loose than before because not only dynamically is the car more loose than it used to be when that transition happens, but up to this point you’ve also been putting a higher demand on the RR than normal. I’ve played with pro dive on the left front and it’s actually crazy how much the car will move towards the infield just by applying the brakes.

And then how do you set your bump without taking into consideration your braking force which isn’t always consistent each time, because how hard you get on the brakes will also amplify this effect.

anti dive, pro dive, only when the brake is on or applied, there are uses for them but it will change from track to track (so it really needs to be very easy to adjust at the track)